Chapter 10

Cassie

It's been twenty minutes and Drew and I still haven't moved. I managed to calm down and stopped crying but I wasn't ready to let go of him just yet. His hands traced patterns on my back as I relaxed into him. We stood like that for a few minutes, and then I started to pull away slowly. Inches apart I looked up at his brown eyes and noticed the tiny golden specks. I could feel his minty breath as he looked at me and glanced down at my lips. I started to lean in, my eyes fluttering close, and Drew began to do the same. As our lips were just about to touch, the door slammed open. We jumped apart, shocked, staring at each other and thinking the same thing: what the hell just happened?

"Drew you said you'd be a minute. It's been nearly an hour." Alyssa called out as she walked into the room. She looked at us and our expressions and her brows knit together. "You two good? You guys look like you've seen a ghost."

"Alyssa? Where'd you go?" I looked away from Alyssa to see John and Elizabeth walking in. "You find out what happened?" Elizabeth asked.

Drew rubbed his neck. "Not exactly."

"Seriously? What the hell were you two doing for forty-five minutes?" Drew and I shared a glance. "Did you guys do it?"

"No!" I exclaimed. "No we didn't."

"Then what? And don't look at each other again. What were you doing?"

I sighed and took a step closer to Alyssa. "Remember when you were telling me about you and Bethany and what happened between you guys and I said I had my own secret that I wasn't ready to share?"

"You told him." She finished. My head fell, ashamed that I never told her. She patted my shoulder. "Hey, I get it. You told Drew because you finally felt ready. No need to be upset you never told me or Elizabeth or John." I smiled.

"Cassie?" I looked over my shoulder to look at Drew. "Please tell us all though, what happened?" My shoulders sank. "Please Cassie. I don't want to pressure you, but maybe us knowing could help you."

"It was Bethany. That's who needed to talk to me during English class when we were working on our project. She said she saw me talking to Drew and wasn't exactly happy. Said shit like you were hers and slow to realizing you were in love with her and that bullshit."

"Delusional bitch." John muttered.

"That's what I said. Anyway, Bethany went on saying how low I was compared to her and said I was worthless. Then I told her she was just insecure and named a few insecurities, said Drew will never like her, and called her a bitch. Then I got slapped. Think I hit a few nerves for her."

"Damn! You are my new favorite person." Alyssa said, slinging her arm around my shoulders to pull me into a hug.

"Drew, you picked right." John said, high fiving him.

"I saw we all go out to eat for that." I smiled at Elizabeth's suggestion.

"I like that idea."

~~~

We were sitting in the diner enjoying our milkshakes, but my smile was fading. I kept thinking back to what happened at my house. Telling Drew about my mom, his arms holding me in a hug, and our almost kiss.

Drew then nudged my shoulder. "You good?" He asked. I looked up at him, again seeing the golden specks in his eyes.

"Just...thinking."

"Your mom."

"One of the things." We both knew the other thing I was talking about. Drew looked ready to reply when Alyssa spoke up.