Chapter 2

Cassie

"Cassie, you promised you would try to like this place, but you haven't done anything. It has been two weeks now. Can you please go and do stuff?" My dad said through the phone. He was at his new office while I was sitting at home watching TV.

"Dad I've been busy. We have been putting the house together and getting comfortable with it." I know it wasn't a solid excuse, but truthfully I didn't want to go anywhere. I didn't want to get attached to a place I might have to leave.

"The house is finished, Cassie. You have no more excuses. Now get dressed, and go do something."

"Fine, but don't expect me to have fun."

"Bye Cassie. Love you."

"Love you too. Bye." I hung up the phone and shut off the TV. I went upstairs to find an outfit to wear out. I settled on black jean shorts and a pastel pink crop top. Slipping on my combat boots, I grabbed my phone and wallet and left the house.

I decided to walk instead of drive since the town was small, and it would be good for me to walk around. After walking for a while, I saw a Starbucks and went inside. I got in line and ordered my drink.

"Hello, welcome to Starbucks. What can I get for you?" The worker asked.

"Can I get a grande strawberry acai refresher with light ice, please?" The woman nodded.

"$4.49." I gave her a five-dollar bill.

"Keep the change," I said.

"Thank you. Your order should be ready within five minutes." I nodded and walked to the pick-up counter. I waited for my drink and soon it was out. I grabbed the drink and straw and walked outside.

I turned the corner to walk to the bookstore when I ran straight into a hard chest, dropping my drink.

"Oh shit! I'm so sorry!" I yelled looking up at the person I ran into. It was a boy, around my age.

"Don't worry about it. I love smelling like," he sniffed the air, "strawberry acai refresher?" I let out a laugh.

"Correct." I looked down at his white shirt. It was covered in my drink. The cup was on the ground, empty. "I'm so sorry. I know how to remove the stain. I feel really bad."

"Nah, you're fine. I was texting on my phone anyway. Karma I guess."

"Are you sure? I saw a laundromat down the street. I could easily get the stain out."

"You know what? I think I might take you up on that offer. My mom would have a fit if I came home in my new shirt with a giant pink stain on it."

"It was new?" I bit my lip in embarrassment.

"Don't worry about it." He smiled again, and I found it to be contagious.

"Maybe a little later for that. Let's go get that stain out." We began walking, and I couldn't think of anything to say. Luckily, he was able to make conversation.

"You know, I don't think I caught your name."

"Maybe cause I didn't throw it," I said smirking. The guy let out a laugh. "I'm Cassandra, but my friends call me Cassie. Not that I have any at the moment."

"Drew. By any chance, is your last name Blake?" I stopped in my tracks and Drew chuckled. "I'll take that as a yes. I only know since I'm supposed to give you your school tour tomorrow."

"Oh! My dad told me about that. Drew Casey, right?" He chuckled and nodded. Before he said anything else, he opened the door of the laundromat for me since we had just arrived. "You can give me your shirt, and I'll have the stain out very quickly."