Chapter 17

Cassie

"So you excited for the party tomorrow?" My dad asked.

I looked up at him from the sofa and nodded. "I think so. It should be fun knowing Alyssa is helping host it."

"Well I hope that stays true when you get there. Sorry I can't come. Work is getting-"

"Busy?" I interrupted. "I know. And, it's fine. It's not like it's my birthday and you forgot about it." I said with a smirk.

"That only happened once and I said I was sorry."

"I know. Just teasing." A nagging feeling of the memory of waiting all night on my thirteenth birthday came to mind, but I shoved it down. I looked up at my dad to see him frowning. "Dad I was joking. You don't need to feel bad. That happened four years ago."

"It isn't your birthday I'm sorry about right now."

I sighed. "Christmas." A silence fell between us. That was still a sore subject. "Dad, it doesn't matter."

"Yes it does Cassie. It was Christmas and we were supposed to spend it together as a family, but you had to spend it away from the house with friends. Not to mention you've gotten so used to being alone on the one holiday I should be present for."

"Dad, I forgave you a long time ago. You are a single father who needs to support us, make sure I can go to college, and let us live a fun life. It's called a commitment, and I won't be upset about it."

"I should be doing more."

"You've already been stretched too thin. Don't stress okay? We can make it up during Spring Break. Okay?" My dad nodded, but I could still see the hint of guilt shielding his eyes. Refusing to bring it up anymore, I stood up. "I have to go though. I need to buy cookies for tomorrow to bring. Can't come to a party empty handed."

"Need help?"

"Nah. Get some sleep. You came home at three A.M. last night." I grabbed my wallet and went out to buy the cookies. Knowing the bakery was close to my house, I figured walking there wouldn't hurt. As I walked, I saw the Starbucks and smiled, remembering when I first met Drew. How embarrassed I felt when I spilled my drink on his brand new shirt.

I decided to get a drink again and when I entered, I saw Drew sitting on a newly installed wooden platform with the guitar I and a guitar I and singing "Last Christmas" by Ariana Grande. I leaned against the wall as I watched him gently strum the chords. Customers were watching him, and I felt a smile fall on my lips. Drew looked out at the customers and saw me watching. A grin appeared on his face as he finished his song. Everyone clapped as he exited the platform and made his way over to me.

"The guitar coming in handy, I see." I teased.

"I still hate that you spent that much money on me." I rolled my eyes at his sentence.

"Well, if you really want to play that card, I hate that your and your whole family got me a real Christmas for my present."

"You're right, I did go out of my way for you. In that case, your present was just you making it even. So really you owe me another." He said in a joking manner.

I smirked. "How about hot chocolate?"

"You bet. Ask for cinnamon."

"You'd really think I'd forget? Last time I forgot, you and your sister dumped them down the drain instead of adding it in yourself." Instead of replying, Drew just sent me a sheepish grin that started to pull on my heartstrings only slightly. "I'll be back."