Epilogue

Cassie

"You ready, Cassie?" I turned around to see my dad smiling at me. I looked back at my mirror, fidgeting with my graduation gown.

"As I'll ever be. Is mom coming?" I asked, biting my lip. After I patched things up with her, she's been trying to make up for lost time. It wasn't exactly easy at first, especially with her new family, but it was better than before.

"Yes. She and Jim and should be there by the time we arrive. If, you know, we ever leave?" Jim was my mom's husband. I liked him well enough, but I don't think I will ever consider him to be my step dad.

I laughed and followed him out of the house. My dad drove us to the ceremony and parked the car. I got out and saw Alyssa and Drew talking. Drew saw me and waved me over. I ran to him with a wide smile on my face. 

"Hey beautiful." Drew whispered when I reached him. He leaned down to kiss me and I kissed back.

"Ahem. Sister and best friend watching." Alyssa said. I chuckled and went to hug her.

"Hey Lyssa. You excited to finally graduate?"

"God yes. I am so done with high school and totally ready for college. Especially the boys."

"Twin brother right next to you. I do not need to hear you talking about boys."

"Relax. I intend to keep the details completely private." We all laughed and I leaned into Drew. He smiled down at me and kissed my head. "Okay, now we may want to go inside. If we want to actually graduate and get the diploma." We entered the gym and saw John and Elizabeth sitting down next to each other. "Okay, I'm all for people falling in love, but not when everyone else is doing it."

"Well maybe you should start talking to boys rather than complain about other people having a love life."

"You rationalize things too much. I'm gonna find my seat. Drew, come on. I don't want to be late finding it."

Drew rolled his eyes and gave me a quick kiss. "See you after the ceremony. I'll be watching you get your diploma."

I smiled and nodded. "Same here. Now go hurry. Alyssa isn't exactly what you call a patient person." Drew laughed and went to follow his sister. I looked for my seat which was a row in front of Drew's but on the other end. I waved and looked to the front. The principle stood up at the podium and cleared her throat.

"Welcome parents and class of 2021! Thank you all for joining us to commemorate and send off our seniors. We are grateful to each and every one of you for being a part of our school and community, as well as the many contributions you have added throughout these four years. Now would our valedictorian, Elizabeth Smith, please come up to the stage?"

I cheered for Elizabeth and heard Alyssa scream "Go Liz!" As Elizabeth walked past me, I gave her a small high five, making her smile. Elizabeth stood at the podium and took a breath before speaking.

"Good afternoon everyone. I'd like to start out by saying thank you. Thank you to my parents who have supported me throughout my three years of high school at Silver Springs High, after attending in sophomore year. Thank you to my teachers for continuing to encourage me and make me push harder in my academics. And finally, thank you to all my friends who were by my side throughout all my ups and downs. You guys really were the best part of this whole experience.

"A lot of people describe high school in many different ways. Roller coaster, a journey, etc. I like to call my years of high school as a long drive where I don't know my destination until I arrive. There are a lot of bumps along the way, you make wrong turns, and you get stopped every once in awhile with a flat tire. But in the end, you still have a road ahead of you with good music blasting through the radio. We have good and bad times, but there's still hope. We can have help along the way and we know there is a path to follow.

"Now that we have finished our high school education, we have reached our destination. And that is a different place for all of us, but we did it. Congratulations class of 2021, you have reached your first destination. Now we prepare for our next one. Thank you."

Everyone cheered loudly and claps erupted across the room. Elizabeth stepped down from the podium and walked quickly back to her seat, her cheeks turned slightly pink. When she reached her seat, I saw John whispering in her ear. Liz smiled and gave him a peck. That made me look at Drew who grinned at me. I grinned back before turning back to the principle.

"Thank you Elizabeth. That was an amazing speech. And now I will give out the diplomas for everyone. Wait for the end to applause. Now, Betty Andrews." Betty walked up, shook hands with the staff, and received her diploma. "Chelsea Barron. Sam Benton." I waited patiently for the next two students to get their diplomas before my name was called. "Cassandra Blake."

I stood up and as I walked over I heard Drew shout, "Go Cassie!" I laughed along with the rest of the audience while the principle held a half amused, half annoyed expression. I shook hands with the faculty that led up to the principle.

"Here you go, Ms. Blake. Thank you." She said, handing me the piece of rolled up paper. I smiled and thanked her. Looking back out to the crowd of people, I felt a grin spread over my face. The principle was already calling out Alyssa's name, but I paid no attention. I saw Drew grinning up at me before his name was called. As I walked down the steps, I saw my parents holding proud smiles on their faces matching the pride in my own stomach. I made it. Despite my mom leaving, my rough past with my dad, the moving homes and schools, problems with Bethany, everything; I made it, and I was happy.

Finally, I felt complete.

~~~~~

It is done!!! Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god! Let me say this, it feels SO GOOD to say I finished a novel. Like really friggin good. And to all like the other writers out there that are struggling to continue to write or just finish their book or even start one, you can do it! It is hard, it might take awhile, you may not be good at it at first, but you can do it. And you will feel so good when you do.

The journey of writing this novel isn't like crazy special or anything, but it was fun. I hope you enjoyed it and I hope you continue to read my other works which may be coming out pretty soon (more details on that will be posted on my page). But again, if you stuck around for the whole thing, thank you. I appreciate you.

-(a very happy) Clara :)