Chapter 9

Cassie 

"Okay so my plan was to make the PowerPoint like a pastel them. We could start off with the first slide about why we think it is important to have friends. Then we could move on to explaining some research about the importance of the subject. Finally we could end with examples of what happens if you don't have friends." Drew wrote down everything I said in his notebook. 

"Sounds good. I'll make the essay with those being the topics of each body paragraph." He said. 

"Everything going well here?" I looked up and saw Mrs. Grimm standing next to our desk. I smiled at her and nodded. "Good. I'm just going around to check in with everyone, but Cassie, someone is waiting to talk to you in the hallway. Keep up the good work." Mrs. Grimm walked away, and I looked at Drew. 

"Who wants to see you?" He asked. I shrugged. 

"No idea. My dad is at work and all our friends are in class." 

"Could be the principal." 

"But why? I haven't skipped a detention or assemble or anything like that." 

"Who knows. Just hurry up so you can work on our PowerPoint. I'll start on the essay." I nodded and stood. I made my way to the hallway, and when I shut the classroom behind me, I heard a voice. 

"God finally." Bethany said. 

I looked at her, narrowing my eyes. "What do you want?" 

She just rolled her eyes. "Clearly, you don't understand what it means to stay away from Drew. I saw you talking to him before first bell."

"Yeah, maybe because he's my friend." 

"I told you to stay away from him. He's mine!" 

"Oh really? Last I checked, you started a huge rumor about his sister, and he is super protective over her. I'm pretty sure he hates you." Bethany shifted her weight uncomfortably. 

"He doesn't hate me. He is just slow in realizing he loves me." 

"Right. You're delusional." 

"Am not! But whatever. You need to start listening to me, or I will make your life a living hell."

"And here I am starting to recall you already made that threat and haven't done anything to actually fulfill it." 

"You just aren't getting it are you?" 

"Getting what?" My eyebrows rose.

"Look here little bitch. You are down here," she held her hand down to her hip, "and I am up here." Her hand went to head. "Get that straight and we'll have one less problem. I'm the popular girl, not you. You are nothing but a worthless piece of trash. Got it?" 

"Yeah I think I do. You want to think you are all that because of your money and appearance. Money gets you nice clothes and makeup, appearance gets you dick. You want to think you have it all, fine, do that. But we both know you still look in the mirror wanting to cry because all you see are insecurities. Too many pores, rolls on your stomach, man shoulders, you name it. Putting people down makes you feel powerful. But it also keeps Drew away. You'll never get him if you stay the bitch you are. Got it?" 

Bethany took a few breaths, glaring at me. Then she raised her hand and swung, slapping me in the face. I adjusted my jaw and stared at her, my cheek stinging, probably going red. 

"I think I just proved my point." I turned around and went back to my seat, positioning my hair to cover up the red handprint Bethany had left on my cheek. I sat down and Drew was looking at me.