Chapter Five

"So one time," Alex said between her giggles, "We got this giant glittery banner, and we told the lady at the shop to write on it, "Who The Fuck Is Matthew Helders?" And oh my giddy-aunt was it funny."

She bent over laughing, her hands on her knees.

Before she could get a word out, there was a knock at the door. Her eyes went to the clock and she gasped at the time, "5:30," she whispered, "Shit!" She stumbled to the door and threw it open.

"Hey Y/N." Matt was waiting behind it, "Is Alex there, we gotta get going, we have a gig."

"Oh, yeah..." she turned around and called into the apartment, "Al! Matt's at the door!"

There were some loud noises and then Alex was at the door standing next to her with his guitar on his back and his notebook and pencil in his hands.

"Right Matt, let's head off.." He said goodbye to Y/N and so did Matt, and then they began to walk down the stairs, until he stopped and looked back at her. He looked her up and down, "Wanna come with us?"

She was taken aback by the question, but didn't hesitate to answer, "Let me get my coat and some shoes." She quickly ran back into the house, put on her (shoe choice) and quickly threw a jacket over her shoulders. From the counter she grabbed her phone, her wallet, and her satchel.

By the time she was finished, Alex and Matt were waiting at the bottom of the stairs for her, "Sorry." She hurriedly apologised as they set off across the parking lot.

Instantly, she could see where they were headed. There was a mini van, parked precariously in the middle of the road. Not only did she recognise it as The Monkeys' van because of the huge lettering reading "Arctic Monkeys" over it, but also because Nick had his head stuck out the passenger side window.

"Hurry the fuck u- oh Y/N you're coming with us? Lovely." Nick's manner changed quickly, which sent her into a fit of laughter.

When they got to the van, the back door slid open, and she was pushed in by Matt, Alex following swiftly after her. She took her seat next to Jamie and one of their guitars. The back of the van was crammed with guitars and a deconstructed Drum kit. Alex sat on the other side of Jamie, and Matt took the drivers seat.

The engine started with a splutter, but didn't fail. The moment it was on, they were moving. As they went through the roads towards the venue, people waved at the van, cheered, waved their tickets and shouted their names.

Before long they were there, going through a shady-looking door, and into the back hallways of some fancy concert hall. She barely had a chance to get to grips with the bright lights, red carpet and cream wallpaper before they were all shoved into a dingy backroom with hard lights, secondary school plastic blue chairs, a failing fridge and microwave and a half decent coffee pot.

"Right, who has the set list?" Jamie asked, sitting on one of the chairs and putting his feet up on the small table that accompanied the chairs.

From the corner of her eye, she saw Matt huff, and pull out a folded sheet of paper. He set it down on the table and Jamie snatched it up. He began reading it to himself. 

While Jamie was reading the set list, Alex began fussing over how long the crew would take with the instruments, Nick was sniffing the coffee, debating if it was drinkable, and Matt was staring at her, though she didn't see it until he marched over and tapped her on the shoulder.

"Y/N, I need to speak to you." Matt said, and dragged her outside the room.

"What's up?" She asked, rocking on her feet slightly as Matt closed the door so the others couldn't listen.

"Listen, Alex is one of my best mates, and you're my sister, so if yo-" He started but she cut him off.

"I think I know what you're suggesting Matt, and let me assure you, nothings going to happen." She assured him, "I barely know the guy, and yes, he seems nice...Jesus Christ he seems lovely! But I think it's a bit soon to start making those presumptions, don't you?" 

"...Yes...but on that note," Matt took her hands, "If anything does happen, just know I don't really care..alright?" 

"Matthew, you worry too much." She waved her hands, and opened the door again.

"You are my little sister Ara." 

At the word "Ara" she stopped, knowing he was teasing her. She hated her middle name with a passion. Arabella. She didn't need to turn around to know he had a shit eating grin on his face.

"May both sides of your pillow be warm." She said simply, before walking back into the dingy back room.