Chapter Six

A/N: A bit of shameless self promotion, but I started a Alex Turner oneshot book.

Someone hummed a note into the microphone to test it. She couldn't tell who it was as there were so many people helping set up. She couldn't do much, she had no experience in this area so Y/N just sat on the edge of the stage, kicking her feet back and forth and watching them all tune their instruments.

After a while, some more bustling, one of the amplifiers making a weird screeching noise after Jamie forgot to plug his guitar in and Alex bumping into all of the microphones, they were finally ready to do a sound check. "Right, what song we doing lads?" Alex asked.

They all murmured amongst themselves, before Alex started playing a riff on his guitar, and then the others joined in. 

"Well now then Mardy Bum-"

*****************

She was at the front, watching them perform. Other people jostled her and pushed her while singing along to the songs, but she didn't mind. It was part of the experience. 

"Right," Alex started talking, "Before we do our next song, I want a round of applause for Nick O'Malley on bass guitar ladies and gentleman! And Jamie Cook on guitar!" A round of screams and clapping went up, "And that man back there, banging your girlfriend and the drums, is Matt Helders!" 

She started laughing at the joke Alex made, and, if she had seen him, his eyes lit up at the notion that he'd gotten a positive reaction from her.

*****************

"Hey!" She waved at The Monkeys as they made their way towards her backstage. When they reached her, Matt went in for a hug, "You guys were amazing!" She cheered.

"Thanks." They all chorused. 

"Drinks lads?" She offered, "On me." They raised their eyebrows at her offer, but they weren't ones to turn down free drinks.

"Sure," Jamie said, "But let us get our shit together first." 

"Need a hand?" She asked.

"Nah I think we- actually yes please." Alex grinned awkwardly.

She nodded slightly, "How can I help?"

"Well...we need to pack away the gear so if you wouldn't mind getting our jackets and shit from the back room then-" Nick started but she cut him off.

"I'm on it." She gave them a small smile, and began to walk leisurely to the back room. Taking her time, she was able too see the inner workings of a performance. The people doing the lighting, making sure the sound equaliser was right, keeping the audience in check. It made her want to do something like it, but then that would be a waste of Art skills so she pushed the thought quickly away.

In no time, she had collected their Jackets and bags and was heading back to the van. "Hey Y/N wait up!" She turned around and saw Alex chasing after her, with two guitars in hand. His actions made her on edge, but he seemed to be able to handle the guitars. He quickly caught up to her, and balanced one guitar on his foot and against his body, "Here, let me take something." 

"take your jacket and put it on, it's gonna be cold out." She held out the pile of jackets and took the guitar off his foot so he could get his coat.

He picked it out and shuffled it on, and then took the jackets out of her hands, and handed gave her her one. "Thanks." She said, putting on, and taking the remaining jackets back.

Alex picked up the guitars, and they began walking.

"It was a wonderful show by the way!" She said, holding the back door open so he could go through with the guitars.

"Yeah?" He asked a bit of uncertainty in his voice. He unlocked the Van, opened the sliding door and pulled out two cases. He began putting the guitars away.

"Yeah it was brilliant!" She said, and the confidence and certainty in her voice, made him smile. Made him happy.

"Thank you...that uh...means a lot coming from you." He said simply and walked back inside.