Chapter Twenty-One

They trudged up her steps, tired and full. They had ended up spending the day at the park, and by the time they made it to her apartment, the sun was setting and the sky was a beautiful mixture of pale reds and strong purples.

"Would you like to stay the night?" She asked, unlocking her door and inviting him in.

"Why not?" He stepped in, and took off his coat.

"Jesus christ I feel so tired. It's only five in the evening. Coffee?" She walked slowly to her kitchen.
Alex followed her, leaning on the doorway to the kitchen, "Who drinks coffee in the evening?" He laughed.

She shot him a look over her shoulder from where she was putting the kettle on boil, "I do. Do you want some or not?"

He crossed his arms, "Please."

She quickly got to work making the drinks and handed his one to him. They sat down at the stools and drank their coffee.

"I really enjoyed today." He smiled behind his mug.

"I did too." She laughed and looked down.

"What? What is it?" He leaned over the counter, grinning happily.

"A month ago roughly, I barely knew you. And now I'm the happiest I've been in a while and I.." she faltered at the end and could only give him a whimsical smile, "I know that you weren't too keen on moving quickly, and I feel the same way. But at the same time, being able to call you my boyfriend just.. " she gently took his hand from across the table.

They sat in silence for a bit, their hands never parting as they sipped their coffee. By the time they began to move, the sun had set.
The only reason they did move, was because Alex had asked her something, "Dance with me?"

She was slightly taken aback, but of course accepted, "There's no music." She pointed out.

"Then.." he pulled out his phone and selected (favourite slow song).
He smiled at her as she murmured, "I love this song." And he offered her his hand. The music was quiet and low quality, but it was there.

She took it gently and they began to sway around the kitchen. As they went on she became comfortable enough to rest her head on his chest.

She could feel the vibrations as he hummed along, just enjoying himself.

As for Y/N, her eyes were gently shut and she mirrored his movements. In that moment, it was just the two of them, moving softly to the song.
The song drew to an end and Alex pressed a kiss to her head, "Thank you for dancing with me, love."

She returned the gesture with a kiss to his cheek, "My pleasure...want to go watch some mindless TV?"

"Okay." He smiled, grabbed his phone and followed her into the living room, where she was already sitting, TV remote in hand.

"Whatcha putting on?" He asked, joining her.

She shrugged and began to go through the channels, looking for TV shows or movies. After a while, they came to a conclusion. It was either Doctor Who or Antiques Roadshow.

She turned to him, and he turned to her, "Doctor who?"

"Doctor who." She nodded and put it on. It was an old episode, but like most people in England she knew it all too well.

They sat there for a bit, watching the show unravel with the doctor and whichever companion he had with him.

"Do you want to stay the night?" She asked him.

"If you don't mind." He smiled at her. God he was so charming.

"Let me go see if I have any of Matt's old clothes...if you want?" She extended the offer to him.

"No, it's fine, it's fine. I can sleep in these." He looked down and realised he wasn't actually wearing anything comfortable. He sighed awkwardly, "I'll take what you can find."

As she walked down the hallway to her bedroom, her laughter echoed through the apartment and Alex found his cheeks tinging slightly red. Not from embarrassment. Just the mere fact that her laugh was beautiful.

He sat there, his head finding his way to his hands as he accidentally put his fingers in his hair, covering them in gel.

Suddenly he realised he'd have to wash the gel out as to not fuck up her bed sheets.

"Hey sugar?" He called, getting up from the sofa, "do you mind if I use your shower?"

"Of course not! I'll bring you out a towel." She yelled back.

Alex rubbed his forehead, and walked into the kitchen. While waiting for her he washed up the two coffee cups and checked his phone.

There was a notification from Miles:

Kane: you getting some yet??

Turner: not every relationship is about sex mate.

Kane: doesn't answer my question...

Turner: if it makes you feel any better, because you just have to know. The answer is no. Mostly because I'm not looking for "some".

He was about to text him another sarcastic comment when Y/N walked into the kitchen, carrying some clothes with a towel piled on top.

"These should fit." She handed them to him, "If not, let me know. I might have some other things."

He nodded and took the clothes off her, before heading towards her shower.

She was about to turn around to wash up the coffee cups when she saw them on the counter.

All she could do was smile and make a mental note to thank him later.