[ 013 ] light the pyre.

— CHAPTER THIRTEEN,
light the pyre.

"BECCA'S JOURNAL IS AMAZING," RAVEN SAYS FROM WHERE SHE AND THE OTHERS SIT CRAMPED IN THE BACK OF THE ROVER. Ruby and Bellamy sit in the front. Bellamy drives the rover. Raven continues, "at twenty-six, she found a pathway to access a human mind. That same year, she had to lock up ALIE because he answer to what was wrong with the world was too many people. She was twenty-seven when it launched the bombs."

"What'd she write about the Flame?" Clarke questions.

"ALIE 2.0. She saw it as a way to atone for her sins. She designed it to not just access a human mind, but to merge with one. It could never wipe us out, because it would be one of us. She would put it in herself first. Altered her genes do her body wouldn't reject the implant." Raven explains.

"Bekka Promheda, the first Commander," Luca pipes. All eyes turn to him, "she was also the first Natblida." Becca. The First Commander. Nightblood.

"Natblida?" Ryland's brows furrow. Nightblood.

Bellamy's eyes glance over at Ruby. She looks as if she's paying no attention to the conversation but Bellamy can tell that she is.

"Black blood. It made her blood black, didn't it?" Clarke speaks up.

"Yeah." Raven responds.

"How did you know that?" Octavia asks.

"Nightblood. That's where it came from. Somehow it became hereditary. That's why we have to find Luna." Clarke doesn't see the look shared between Amara and Luca at the mention of Luna, "if she can access ALIE-2–"

"She can tell us how to stop ALIE-1." Octavia finishes Clarke's sentence.

"Bekka Promheda gets her second shot at atonement." Sinclair mumbles to himself. Becca. The First Commander.

"Luna is the final Natblida," Luca says. "But she also fled her conclave. I am not sure if going to Luna is the best idea." Nightblood.

"You got any better ideas?" Clarke looks to him with raised eyebrows.

He shakes his head.

"Get back to the mind pathway," Monty says. Ryland glances at him. He just lost his mother. He is the one that did it, too. "If ALIE used it to upload our minds to the City of Light, then there's chance my mom is still alive."

"That depends on your definition of alive." Raven mutters.

"Eyes sharp, weapons hot. We're almost home." Bellamy informs the group. "Miller, come." Bellamy then says into the radio. Silence. "Harper, you there? Your ride's two minutes out."

Before they arrive at Arkadia, they all swap places. Monty takes his place in the drivers seat, Jasper gets on the Gatling gun on the roof, and Raven takes Ruby's spot in the passenger seat. The others walk along side it with their weapons out.

"We left two days ago. Why haven't they fixed the gate yet?" Clarke asks as they approach Arkadia.

"Maybe cause there's no one here to fix it." Jasper shrugs.

"It's like a ghost town." Octavia remarks.

Bellamy raises his radio to his mouth again. "Miller, where the hell are you? I don't like this."

"Maybe they got chipped." Jasper suggests.

"If they got chipped, they'd have been waiting for us at the cave." Luca tells the teenager.