[ 026 ] troubled times.

— CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX,
troubled times.

"VITAL'S ARE STRONG." Abby says as the group watches the man in the radiation chamber.

They've yet to turn on the radiation. Ruby is glad they haven't. She's not sure if she can bring herself to witness this.

Yes, she knows it's for the remaining of the human race but there's a horrible feeling in her stomach. Maybe she's just anxious. At least that's what she hopes it is.

"Jackson, seal the chamber." Abby orders.

"Copy that," the other doctor says as he presses a button. The chamber seals shut.

Ruby's eyes lock with Miller'a from across the radiation chamber. She can tell by the look in his eyes that he doesn't like this either. He shakes his head. Ruby returns it, a silent conversation passing between the two.

"He's ready," Jackson informs Abby.

"Yeah. But are we?" Raven mumbles.

A moment of silence lapses.

"The guy's a monster," Emori speaks up.

"We've been over this." Clarke starts. "None of us wants to do this, but the death wave will be here in ten days. Luna's stem cells grafted successfully. Baylis is making Nightblood on his own. This really is our only hope."

"We really still talking about this?" Murphy questions. Ruby's eyes dart to her brother from where she stands beside Roan.

Every single person in the room, save for Ruby and Roan, is curious about the relationship between the two. They're an unlikely pair. It's odd to see the Azgeda king and a girl with no clan standing beside each other. Ice Nation.

As they say, curiosity killed the cat.

Praimfaya will kill these cats in ten days. Death Wave.

"Black rain is already here. Eighteen people died in at Arkadia yesterday, so if Nightblood can let us walk around in it, I, for one wanna know about that." Murphy finishes.

"Okay. Jackson, proceed." Abby instructs.

"Copy that. Initiating," he says as he turns the knob that causes the radiation to leak into the chamber.

Ruby swallows the lump her throat. She reaches her hand to her mouth and her knuckles to her mouth in anticipation. Roan drops his hand onto her shoulder, also anxious.

"500 REM." Jackson speaks up. "850. This is where we'd see symptoms in a non-Nightblood."

"BP is 100 over 50. Body temperature is 98.7. Resting comfortably," Abby says.

"No affects," Clarke says from where she leaned down by the chamber.

"1,000 REM. 1,500." Jackson says.

"All good here," Abby states.

"2,000 REM, the level of the black rain." Says Jackson.

"Still nothing. It's working," Clarke breathes out.

"2,500," Jackson continues.

"Wait," Abby's voice turns frantic. Her eyes widen as Baylis's vitals begin to spike.

Ruby's eyes widen. Before she can react, she's shouting, "turn it off!"

That's when Baylis starts to scream.