[ 005 ] the monsters inside of us.

— CHAPTER FIVE,
the monsters inside of us.

NIGHT HAS SETTLED.

And Ruby is angry.

She's angry enough to push her sword through the heart of Charlie Pike and not look away from his eyes as the life fades from them.

She stands in front of the main gate, her sword over her shoulder and blades hidden on her person. Her eyes cut up from the dirt under her feet to the approaching people.

She, Lincoln, and Luca share a quick look as Bellamy, Pike, and several other approach up to them. Monroe and Harper stand with them.

"What're the guns for?" Harper asks Bellamy from where she stands beside Lincoln.

"There's an army out there. We need to hit them before they hit us," Bellamy tells her.

"An army sent to protect us." Lincoln states.

"Do we have a problem?" Pike questions.

"No." Bellamy tells Pike. He then looks back to the others. "I have always done what is best for us. I need you to trust the I am doing that now."

Ruby's fists clench in fury as Bellamy looks to Monroe. "Monroe." He says. Monroe quickly nods and walks off. His brown eyes then turn to Harper. "Harper."

"Sorry, guys." Harper mumbles sadly before she turns on her heel and leaves.

Now it's only Ruby, Lincoln, and Luca standing between an army of three hundred Grounders and a small group of revenge-seeking assholes.

"You guys too." Bellamy says, his eyes move across the small family that's formed over the past three months.

"You wanna prove your one of us, let us pass." Pike says to Lincoln and Luca. Then he looks to Ruby,"and if you want to regain your spot as one of our people, Ruby, move."

"I don't want to be your people." Ruby snarls, "we aren't moving."

"Get out of the way, Grounders!" One of the men growls. He quickly aims his gun at the trio. Lincoln is fast to grab the barrel of the gun and yank it towards him. Ruby watches as the butt of the gun connects with the man's face. Lincoln reaches out and grabs the man. He pulls him into his chest and presses his knife to the Sky Person's throat.

And so, Ruby and Luca pull their swords from their sheathes. The Sky People raise their guns at them. "Drop your guns!" Luca shouts.

"Do what he says." Pike looks at his people.

"So much for the good Grounder." Hannah murmurs, glaring at Lincoln.

"What'd you just say?" Ruby steps closer. Luca reaches out and grabs her arm, pulling her back towards himself and Lincoln. Bellamy's eyes dart to Luca's hand that remains on Ruby's arm for a moment longer that he likes. He then looks to Ruby, hatred in his eyes. When he looks at her face, she's already staring back at him with an even greater amount of hatred in her eyes.

"Quiet, Hannah." Pike tells her. He then aims his words at the trio. "Whose people are you three defending here?"

"Lincoln, put the down the knife. Ruby, Luca, put down the swords. No one has to get hurt here," Bellamy tells them cautiously.

"You're trying to start a war! We can't let you start this," Ruby says, her eyes darting between Pike and Bellamy.

"We're already at war." Pike shakes his head.