[ 030 ] the art of dying.

— CHAPTER THIRTY,
the art of dying.

AS RUBY APPROACHES ROAN, HE HITS HER WTH THE QUESTION SHE BOTH EXPECTS AND DOESN'T EXPECT.

"Be my advisor?" He asks. Ruby freezes, stopping dead in her tracks "Your people will pick someone who isn't you and I know you will want to be in the tower. And you're my most important friend, there's no one I trust more than you."

She doesn't even hesitate with her reply.

"I will," Ruby nods to herself. "Today I not only honor my people but yours as well."

His eyes never once leave her as he says, "if I win, you will be in that bunker with me."

"If Octavia wins, I will be in that bunker with Skaikru." She informs him. Sky People.

"You are two-sided, Ruby." Roan shakes his head.

"I am not." She exclaims. "I believe in humanity. I believe in righteousness. You are asking me to choose between you and my family."

"In the end, it will your family." He says, already knowing the answer.

She tells him quietly, "yes. You are my family too, Roan. Never forget that."

"And you are mine." Roan says. He reaches out, grabbing her arm. She grabs his arm in return. They share a nod of both respect and admiration.

"Ambassadors and advisors, to the tower. Champions, to your flags." A man suddenly speaks up.

"Roan—"

Ruby is cut off as Roan pulls her into his arms. She's caught off guard by the sudden affection he displays as he hugs her tightly.

Still, she doesn't hesitate to return it.

"I know." He breathes out, his breathing tickling her ear. They pull apart. He drops his hands onto her shoulders. "Go be my advisor, Kiswamplei." Kiss of Death.

"Go be a warrior, King Roan." She grins slightly at him. He returns to small smile.

As they share one last look, Ruby turns on her heel to retreat to the throne room.

That's when she sees Octavia Blake watching her carefully. Ruby turns her attention to her fiend, "I know what you're thinking—"

"Indra told me." Octavia cuts her off. "I understand. He asked you to be his advisor because he trusts you. Go be a damn good Azgeda advisor, Ru." Ice Nation.

Ruby pulls Octavia into her arms. As they hug, the older girl whispers, "Roan is a good fighter but you're better. Go win this for us, Tavia."

When they pull apart, neither girl tries to hide their tears from each other.

"I will."

─────────

Ruby stands at the top of the tower, her arms folded over her chest. Bellamy and Marcus send her the occasional glance. She can only hope that they will understand why she stands with Echo.

With Azgeda. Ice Nation.

Indra, Luca, and Amara all stand together in a cluster. Luca and Amara have been selected as the advisors for Trikru while Indra stands by as the ambassador. Tree Clan.

"The first two champions have fallen," Gaia announces as she and the Nightblood scout enter the throne room. "Gael kom Ingranronakru. . . yu gonplei ste odon," Gaia says as the scout places a candle snuffer over Ingranronakru's candle. Of the Plain Riders. Your fight is over. Plain Riders.