[ 023 ] pain shall be no more.

— CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE,
pain shall be no more.

"YOU SERIOUSLY SHOULDN'T GO."

Ruby can't help but roll her eyes as she shoves a pistol in the waistband of her jeans. She then turns her eyes to the girl that stands by her side.

"Clarke, they could have Bellamy and Marcus. They tried to kill Octavia. To keep me from going, you're going to have to kill me."

"You still recovering from being stabbed. You just got your memory back. If something happens to you out there, I don't know what might happen. You could die." Clarke shakes her head as she crosses her arms over her chest. "We can't afford to lose you, Ru."

"Any one of us could die at any given time." Ruby shrugs. "What better day than today? Besides, do you really think Azgeda will show us any type of mercy?" Ice Nation.

"If we both talk to Roan—"

"Do you think Roan will actually listen to us?" Ruby questions. "You realize you're sending people out there who seek vengeance against Azgeda. People like Riley. They tortured him and killed his people, Clarke. He's going to be a loose cannon out there." Ice Nation.

"They have understand what's at stake here. And so do you, Ru." Clarke drops her hand on Ruby's arm. The older girl sucks in a small breath. "You'll be with me. Well stand together. Just like we always have. The two of us against an army."

Ruby smiles at Clarke's words. "Just like we always have."

─────────

Ruby and Clarke stand together in the middle of the gulley, boulders and rocks surrounding them on both sides.

Side-by-side, they stand as an army of angry Azgeda warriors march towards their home with Roan and Echo leading. Ice Nation.

The army stop when they're within hearing range.

"We need to talk," Clarke calls out to Roan.

"Yeah, come on. Don't be a pussy!" Ruby says to the man. Clarke sighs.

"A little late for that." Roan announces. He then falls for for his archers to target Wanheda and Kiswamplei. Commander of Death. Kiss of Death.

The archers don't hesitate to raise their bows towards the murderous duo.

"Don't be like that Roan." Ruby scoffs. Despite her seemingly nonchalant demeanor, her fists clench at her sides, as do Clarke's.

Above them, their people see this.

The signal.

Ruby and Clarke share a look as several green laser sights lock onto the king. The Azgeda archers turn their arrows to the rock walls, searching for the source of the laser sights. Ice Nation.

Echo says something that neither Ruby nor Clarke can hear.

That's when two Grounders lead two men to the front of the army. Ruby's eyes harden as they're shoved to their knees.

"Clarke," Ruby whispers. Clarke glances over at her friend to see that her brown eyes are locked onto the two men. Her hand slowly reaches for her gun.

"Don't." Clarke hisses.

The bags are ripped off of the men's heads.

Bellamy and Marcus.