[ 033 ] silence and sound.

— CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE,
silence and sound.

"FIVE YEARS IS A LONG TIME, RUBY." Marcus Kane's voice says over the radio. "Are you guys sure you can actually live up there?"

"Clarke, Raven, and Monty believe we can. I trust Clarke, Raven, and Monty." Ruby Carson replies. The woman reaches up and starts to rub her temple. "How is everyone settling in there?"

"Nate was one of the chosen to survive. Luca and Amara are both safe, as well." Marcus informs her. "Is Ryland okay with going back to the Ark?"

"He doesn't have a damn choice. I'm not letting him die down here. And good, take care of them for me please. They're gonna need you," Ruby says.

"I know. Amara hasn't left Abby's side since she's woken up. And Luca and Jackson have been comforting Nate over the loss of his father." Marcus says. Ruby's lips turn downwards at the new information.

David Miller is dead.

He was a loyal man.

A good one.

"We'll meet again, Marcus." Ruby says suddenly. "I swear we will."

"We will, Little Lion," Marcus uses her childhood nickname. She sucks in a breath at the suddenness of it. "I love you, Ruby."

"I love you, too, Marcus." Ruby tells him. "I'll go get Bellamy."

She sets down the radio and leaves the rec room. Bellamy stands outside, waiting for her. She looks to him, "Octavia's waiting for you, Bell."

He glances at he, then he nods.

As he he moves to walk past her, he reaches out for her wrist. "Are you ready for this?"

"No." Her response is blunt but honest. "Now, go talk to your sister."

Ruby watches as he enters the rec room. When the door shuts behind him, she makes her way down the stairs, joining Ryland's shade.

Her attention settles on the giant screen. One of ALIE's old drones hovers over the city of Polis, awaiting the end.

"This is it." She whispers.

Her heart starts to pound harder as she thinks of Roan and Luna's bodies turning into nothing.

Arkadia is gone already.

Jasper is gone.

They didn't even get to bury him.

Her jaw clenches painfully.

"Bellamy, Clarke, get down here!" Murphy calls out as a wave of fire and radiation appears over the horizon.

Seconds later, Ruby feels Bellamy's hand drop onto her shoulder.

A small gasp falls from her lips as Praimfaya strikes the city of Polis. She brings her hand to cover her mouth, her eyes wide. Death Wave.

Unwelcome tears well in her eyes.

Her shoulders droop.

"Holy shit," Ryland whispers.

"It's two hundred and ten miles from Polis to the island. According to what was our last drone, the wave is accelerating. If we're not off the ground at least twenty minutes before it hits, the electromagnetic charge in the pyroclastic cloud with shut down the rocket's avionics, meaning it won't fly. That gives us ninety minutes to run a six-hour preflight check, retrieve the oxygen generator from the lighthouse, turn a cockpit designed for two into one that can carry ten, and load the cargo hold with enough food to last us from starving in space while we wait for the algae to bloom." Raven lists off.