[ 016 ] the curse of the nightbloods.

— CHAPTER SIXTEEN,
the curse of the nightbloods.

RUBY HAS DECIDED THAT THEY HAVE THE WORST LUCK POSSIBLE.

They're stopped in the middle of a cold, snowy environment because just as Jasper said, the rover died. Now, they wait for the sun to charge the solar panels on the sides.

But despite the situation and the freezing air, Ruby examines the snow. She's never seen it in real life before. Of course, she's seen pictures of it in books but never up close.

She doesn't even pay attention to Clarke and Bellamy's conversation behind her.

Ruby crouches down in front of the white powder. She reaches a hand out and places it flat in the snow. She doesn't expect it to be so cold against her skin. Immediately, she draws back with a small, quiet hiss that goes unnoticed by the others.

Amara looks over at Ryland with furrowed eyebrows. "What's she doing?"

"Examining the snow." Ryland replies.

"She's never seen it before?" Amara asks, her voice shocked.

Ryland tears his eyes away from his best friend. "None of us have." He informs Amara.

From where he leans against the rover, Luca pipes, "she thinks it's incredible."

"Because it is." Ruby says suddenly. All eyes move back to her as she stands. She turns back to them. "I just don't like the coldness of it."

Then her brows furrow. Bellamy and Clarke ate nowhere to be seen. Her hearts starts to beat a little faster.

Octavia notices her change in demeanor, "don't worry." She quickly says. "Clarke got pissed and ran off. Bellamy went after her."

Ruby walks forward and pulls herself onto the hood of the rover to join Jasper. He looks at her, "hi, Ru."

She looks over at him and smiles softly. "Hi, Jas."

She sighs and turns her eyes to the woods. Her eyes scan the tree-line, looking for any type of movement.

"You okay?" Jasper asks suddenly.

Ruby turns back to look at him. She nods. "I'm trying. . . you know? Are you?"

"I'm doing the same as you: trying." He responds with a fake smile.

Jasper leans his head on Ruby's shoulder. She doesn't tense up. She doesn't get nervous. Jasper Jordan, the one person in the world who has never hurt her in any type of, the person who saved her from herself more times than she can count. Her Jasper.

She lets her head fall on top of his.

They sit like this for several minutes.

That's when they hear a grunt from the tree like. Immediately, everyone's head snap in the direction of the noise. At first, Ruby's brows knot together. There, Bellamy and Clarke drag a Grounder out of the woods.

Everyone rushes over to them. Bellamy and Clarke drop the man's legs. Ruby examines him. He has scars on his face and he has long hair. Blood stains his shirt and his eyes are shut.

Amara tilts her head to the side as she stares at the man. She then asks, "is that Roan?"

"Yes," Clarke looks to her. "You know him?"

"Of course we do." Luca pipes. He nudges Roan with the tip of his boot. Clarke looks at him oddly. "Why's he here?"

"He's been following me." Clarke replies.