[ 022 ] remembrance.

— CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO,
remembrance.

AS SOON AS THEY RETURN TO ARKADIA, RUBY IS INFORMED BY RAVEN THAT HER BROTHER IS HERE.

Now, as she enters her apartment, her eyes lock onto her brother. He's made himself at home by sitting comfortably on her couch.

"John," she says in greeting.

For a moment, Murphy freezes. She called him John, not Murphy. She hasn't called him John since they had a decent relationship. A small smile forms on his lips as he stands to his feet.

"What're you doing here?" She questions him as she shrugs off her leather jacket. She tosses it on her dining table.

"I originally came to steal your rations but then I found out the world is ending again." He informs his younger sister. "And then," he draws out the word, "I was told you don't remember Bellamy."

"Yeah." She mumbles in response. She turns to face him, placing her hand on her hip. "You gonna stay?"

"Gonna go tell Emori about Praimfaya. You think they'll let us stay here?" He questions. Death Wave.

"You're a cockroach, John. And a snake, you always end up slithering your way back into our little home somehow." The siblings both smirk at each other. "Will you stay?"

His brows furrow. "You want me to?"

"Of course I do. You're my big brother. I don't want you to die." The siblings locks eyes. One pair of ocean blue eyes and the other a flawed pair of brown eyes with red specks. "And if they say you can't stay, I won't be inside this ship when Praimfaya does come." Death Wave.

"I won't let you die for me." He shakes his head.

"I've almost died for you many times, John. I've fought for you since day one. And even if you have shot me, and broke my nose, and tried to hang Belllamy, and—"

"Yeah, yeah, I get it!" Murphy laughs softly at his sisters choice of words, "I've done a lot of shit."

"You'll be here when the world ends." She approaches her brother. He glances down at her as she grabs hold of his arm. "I won't let you die. I haven't let you die, yet, big brother. Not even when I was the one trying to kill you."

─────────

Ruby practically collapses onto her mattress. She presses her face deep into the soft pillow. A groan escapes through her lips. 

"You okay?" A voice asks.

Immediately, Ruby sits up. Her shoulder go rigid as she stares at the man in her doorway. Bellamy stares back at her.

"How'd you get in?" She asks him.

"Murphy let me in," he tells her.

"Bastard," Ruby mutters under her breath.

"I have something for you," Bellamy starts. Ruby's brows furrow as he reveals a small book. Then her eyes widen. Her memory book.

"How did you get that?" She gasps. He walks forward and hands her to book. She quickly takes it from him and holds it close to her chest. As if she's protecting the memories it contains from him. . . and perhaps herself.

"It fell out of your pocket in Polis when. . . when you got stabbed. You told Ryland you drew a bunch of things in there. Memories from the Ark, from here. I was hoping if you looked at the memories you drew of us, you would remember."