S1 E5: Counterbalance

Edited January 1, 2022. 

SO. I am going to try and go more in depth about Camila's acciedent. So if you have read it before, I suggest reading again. I'll leave little notes in the beginning of the chapters, and I'll let you guys know which chapters to re-read that have more detail! 

***

I'd decided it'd be best not to mention anything to Mr. LaRusso about Miguel taking classes with Johnny Lawrence. I wasn't lying, I just wasn't being completely honest. My new job was going great, and school was even greater. Sam had invited me to some dinner with her family and a really wealthy landowner. I wasn't going to go, but she insisted, as a 'thank you to what I did in the library.' Her words exactly. 

It turned out that Sam was in the library when the whole Kyler situation went down, and she told me that on that same night, Kyler had tried to feel her up in the movie theatre. I wasn't shocked, but I felt bad for her. 

We were on our way to the Encino Oaks Country Club where we'd be having dinner. I had to borrow an outfit from Sam, after telling her that I'd never been to a country club before. She was more than happy to give me something to wear. She'd even told me that the blue dress she'd lent me looked better on me than it did on her. Then, she said I could keep it. I smiled, and thanked her. 

When we showed up, Sam and I were at the buffet with Amanda, watching Mr. LaRusso do his thing. He talked to the man, Armand, with ease. 

 "By the way, thanks for coming," Amanda said to her daughter. Sam smiled. "Thought you were gonna be with your friends tonight." 

 "I am," Sam smiled over at me. I smiled back. "But, yeah, um.. I don't know. Yas and Moon haven't been returning my texts." 

 "Oh," Amanda responded. 

"We were supposed to go to a concert together, and then I saw this." Sam pulled up a picture that the girls posted. Them. At the concert. Without Sam. 

 "Yeah, maybe its better that you're here with Camila, and not there with them. Anyway, we're always happy to have...Anthony! Stop drinking the butter!" I laughed lightly at Sam's brother who I'd met only a few minutes ago. He was an...interesting little dude. "Let's get your brother." Amanda said. 

 "So... you're not friends with them anymore?" I asked Sam. 

"I don't know...I mean, they were there when no one else was." Sam said. 

"I understand," I really did. I wish I didn't. "Look, Sam, I know I can't tell you who to be friends with, and I won't--but Aisha? She's someone who seems like she'd be there for good, you know?" I said. 

"Yeah, I know. I feel awful for what happened at the dance. I should've been like you, and actually done something. But I was scared," Sam said. I smiled, softly. 

 "Hey, if it doesn't work out with Yas and Moon, you've got me. Okay?" 

"Yeah." Sam smiled.  

I put my hands in my coat pocket. I was freezing. I felt something in there, something like...gum? I pulled it out of my pocket and looked at it, a chuckle escaping my lips. Robby Keene's pack of gum. I'd forgotten all about it. I put the pack back in there, and followed Sam over to our table. 

*

Miguel, Demetri, Eli, and I sat at our usual lunch table a couple of days later. I smiled at Sam when I saw her walk into the cafeteria, but she didn't smile back. She looked...sad. I got up to go talk to her, when I saw the exchange of glances between her and her friends. Those bitches blocked her seat. Sam turned to Aisha, who apparently still hadn't forgiven her for the night of the dance. Aisha told her to get lost. She said something that I couldn't quite make out. But I knew of the false rumor going around about my friend, so when Sam walked over to Kyler, I knew it had something to do with that. 

Kyler told everyone that Sam gave him a blowjob, which was untrue. 

I got up, and stood behind Sam. 

"Think it's funny to spread lies about me?" she asked him. 

"What are you talking about?" Kyler asked. "We saw a movie and that's it. Well, maybe I saw a little bit more than you," 

"Listen here, asshole--"

"Meels, I got this," Sam smiled at me. I nodded. 

"Yeah, we heard you got pretty 'choked up.'" Kyler's friend said. I couldn't remember his name. He was too irrelevant. 

 Sam threw Kyler's lunch tray onto the ground. Everyone in the cafeteria's attention was now on her. "Hey, guys! You know that billboard with a big-ass dick on it? I guess Sam takes after her dad." Kyler said. 

 "Kyler--" I was cut off by my brother. 

"Hey, Kyler! Why don't you shut the hell up and stop being such an asshole?" Miguel said. I grabbed Sam's arm, pulling her away. 

"You want another beatdown 'Rhea?" Kyler asked. 

I exchanged looks with my brother. "Do you?" I seethed at Kyler. 

He chuckled. "From you? Sure, babe. I just.. don't think it's going to be that kind of beatdown. I'm thinking something a little bit more.. naked," Miguel's hands balled into fists. I gagged, trying not to throw-up my lunch. "I'm ready for your lame-ass karate this time, 'Rhea." Kyler pushed my brother, who stood right back up. 

"It's not lame-ass karate." Kyler lifted his arm to punch, which Miguel quickly blocked. "It's Cobrai Kai." Miguel said. 

Soon enough, it was three to one, and Miguel was kicking their asses. Then, it was four to one, and Miguel was undefeated. I cheered for my brother, and Sam watched him in shock. He hit Kyler with a lunch tray, knocking the asshole down, and everyone in the cafeteria was cheering for my brother. 

Sam smiled up at Miguel when he stood up on the table. He smiled at her, and then saw me, smirking and making kissy faces at him. 

Of course, though, his victory was short-lived, because the stupid counselor had to ruin it. "Hey! Get down from there right now." He was dragged out of the cafeteria. Oh, was mama gonna kill him. 

*

When I showed up to work today, Amanda told me that Mr. LaRusso was taking a personal day, and that she had an interview to run on the new employee. She said we were basically going to have the same job, and that got me excited. Now, I wouldn't have to put up with Louie alone. 

I was leaving the break room, looking down at the stacks of printer paper in my hands. I was heading to refill the printers. My body hit something hard, and me and the paper flew to the ground. "Sorry!" I shrieked. 

"No problem. Are you okay?" I've heard that voice before. A hand was held out for me, and I grabbed it to stand up. 

"Thanks..uh," I looked up into his eyes, and smiled. "Robby," 

He smirked down at me, and helped me pick up the printer paper. 

"Camila Diaz," he said, "What a coincidence?"  

{Angelina Speaks}

I'M SO HYPE. ROBBY AND CAMILA ARE ENDGAME. 

-Angelina