S1 E6: Quiver

Edited January 1, 2022

*** 

I was with Sam today, sitting with her by the pool. We were laughing at some post I found on Instagram, and Sam was low-key stalking my brother. I cringed. 

"Why Miguel?" I jokingly whined. She laughed. 

We were having fun, until her entire attitude changed. I hesitantly looked at her. 

"What is it?" I asked. Sam turned her laptop toward me, frowning. It was a picture of a girl with sausages in her mouth, an arrow pointed at her and labeled 'SAM.' "Oh, you've gotta be fucking kidding me." 

"Hey! Hey, what's going on? You girls going for a swim?" Mr. LaRusso asked, walking up to us. "You gonna invite the other girls over?" 

 "No, not today." Sam said, shutting her laptop quickly. 

"Great. You wanna spar with your old man?" he asked. 

"Karate?" Sam asked. My eyes widened. 

"Yeah, you don't have to say it like it's the flu. But we can teach Camila a little bit," Mr. LaRusso suggested. 

"I mean, I'd love to learn, but--" 

"Come on, Dad, that was, like, eight years ago." Sam said. 

"Well, eight years isn't that long," Mr. LaRusso countered. 

"Eight years ago, I was eight." Sam smiled. 

"Come on. Remember that time you nail me in the jaw with the flip kick?" Mr. LaRusso asked. I gasped. 

"I didn't know you did karate, Sam." I said. 

"I had to eat soup for a week. It was funny," Mr. LaRusso told me. I laughed. 

"Today's just not great. I've got a lot of homework." Sam lied. 

"All right, I gotcha. No sweat. Gotta hit the books. You hit the books." her dad said, sadly. 

"Is that...okay?" Sam asked him. 

"Yeah. Come on. You'd be doing me a favor. I don't have to block that foot of fury." he said. 

"Thanks, Dad." Sam said. 

"All right," 

I looked at Sam. "So...karate? Really?" 

"Yeah. My dad loves it. You know, I'm sure he'd love to teach you... I mean, I don't know why Miguel can't." Sam laughed, and I did too. 

"Something about Miguel's kind of karate rubs me the wrong way... and I think it rubs your dad the wrong way too." I said. Sam shot me a confused look, and I just shook my head. "Never mind. Hey! I've gotta get home. My YaYa is going to need some help with dinner," I told her. She nodded and gave me smile. 

"I'll see you tomorrow?" she asked. 

"You got it. Hey, if someone else posts something, you call me, okay?" I asked, and Sam nodded. 

"Thanks, Meels," we shared a hug, and I left. 

The next day at work, was pretty fun. Mr. LaRusso asked if I could come by on my school lunch break to help Robby. I got to show him around for a little while, and eventually he got everything done by himself. 

When I walked passed him, I pretended to drop something, just so that we could meet on the floor. "Heya," I grinned. 

"What?" he chuckled.