S1 E9: Different But Same

Edited January 1, 2022

***

The PSAT testing had me exhausted. I was seated directly behind my brother, resting my hand on my cheek and staring into space out of boredom. I could tell that Miguel was out of it today, as well. He was all sad, and heartbroken. I couldn't exactly tell him that Robby was my boyfriend, because...well, he wasn't. Yet. So, I had to deal with my brother being all girly about Sam.

He dropped his pencil down on his desk with a frown, and sighed. Demetri, who was sitting beside him, looked over at my brother. "What's going on?" he whispered. "The test is almost over."

"It's just a practice test. Relax," Miguel told him.

"Easy for you to say. You have a girlfriend." Demetri said, making no sense.

"What does that have to do with anything?" I butted in, leaning forward. Miguel rolled his eyes at me. He was being a total dick to me lately, and I acted like it didn't bother me. In reality, it did.

"I gotta do well on these, so I do well on the actual test, so I get into a good college, which will lead to a good internship, then a high-paying job, and then, after a coupled promotions, I should have enough confidence to get a super-hot girl." Demetri's elaboration made me sigh. "You got the karate thing. I gotta play the long game."

The bell ringing made me hop out of my seat, and run to the front of the room. Honestly, I just wanted out of there, right then. I couldn't stand the evil glares my brother kept sending me, and I was tired. Sam was standing outside the classroom, probably waiting for Miguel. I sent her a smile, and hugged her before leaving.

Sam met up with me after talking to my brother, and I smiled over at her. My face fell when I saw she wasn't the happiest. "What did that son of a bitch do?" I asked.

"Nothing!" Sam said, throwing her hands up. "He wants to meet my family, but with everything that happened between my dad and Cobra Kai...I don't want them to hate Miguel. I really like him. I feel awful, but who knows what my dad will do."

"I get it. I'm super nervous about telling your dad that Miguel is my brother...and I really don't want them to find out about Robby and I either--"

"Robby?" Sam smirked at me. "What's up with you and Robby?" she asked.

"Oh, right," I blushed. "So, we kissed," I said. "Three times,"

Sam squealed. "OMG, tell me everything! When did you guys even meet?"

"The principal's office," I shrugged. Sam looked at me weirdly. "Don't ask," I chuckled.

*

I've been texting Sam all night, and there was no answer. I sighed, and threw my phone down. I had nothing else to do, so I walked into Miguel's room, in hopes that he'd be a decent human being and talk to me.

"Miggy?" I asked, quietly, as if I may break. He looked up, concerned, and when he saw I was fine, his eyes went back down at his phone. "Oh, come on, Miguel. You're my twin brother. How can you be so hostile toward me?"

"I'm not trying to be," he mumbled, sighing, before sitting up. "I'm sorry. It's just Sam, and the--"

"Competition. I know. But, Miguel, I'm really trying here. I don't know what our relationship has come to. I used to tell you everything, but now, it's like you've become someone I don't know." I explained. My brother sighed again.

"I'm sorry. What's been going on?" he asked. I smiled.

"For starters... that boy you keep accusing Sam of cheating on you with..." I said, and Miguel frowned. "We're sort of...a thing?" Miguel looked up at me, confused, and then smiled.