S1 E10: Mercy

Edited January 1, 2022

*** 

I walked to the tournament alone today. I hadn't even looked at my brother this morning. Mama knew something was going on with us, but she didn't question it. She probably wanted us to figure it all out ourselves. 

Miguel tried to apologize. Many times. I just decided not to listen. His apology wouldn't have mattered, anyway. He fought with me when he was drunk, and when he was sober. What difference did it make? My brother didn't deserve to be forgiven. Not yet, anyway. 

I walked right past him and his Cobra Kai friends. They used to be mine as well, but after yesterday, I wasn't sure I had anyone. I wasn't even sure if Sam was mad at me. 

I saw Miguel practicing his punches... Hawk saying something to him about "saving it for the tournament." Miguel saw me, and dropped his hands. When he saw me look away, he brought them back up, punching again.  

Robby had informed me that he was still going to compete. As nervous as I was, knowing that Mr. LaRusso had basically kicked Robby out of his life, I still showed up to support him. I sat alone, playing with my fingers. My mother and YaYa were at the top of the bleachers, but I avoided them, knowing that once they saw me, they'd bombard me with questions about Miguel that I wouldn't want to answer. 

"Please, take your seats. The competition will begin shortly." an announcer said, and I looked around the giant room. 

 I saw Sam walk in with her parents and brother, sitting beside me when she saw me as well. Mr. LaRusso greeted me with a sad smile, and Amanda smiled too. Anthony...he was playing video games as per usual, which made me chuckle. 

Sam wasn't looking at Miguel. She'd avoided him just like I was. I was staring into space when she spoke. 

"You could've told me, you know." she said, quietly. 

"I know," I sighed. "I just...It's not something I want to flaunt. I mean, my first panic attack, I almost died, and I haven't been able to drive since then. I just don't want people's pity, and my idiot brother knows that. Now, I can't go anywhere without being stared at by everyone." 

"He sucks." Sam sighed, sadly. "I can't believe he'd do any of what he did last night. He was so sweet, and now-- "

"He's different," I finished for her. 

"So, why'd you come?" she asked, genuinely interested. 

"Robby is still competing." 

"Even after last night?" she asked, gasping. 

"Yeah. I was going to, but I'm pretty sure your dad would have my head." I laughed, quietly. 

"He just doesn't want you to get hurt," Sam smiled, and I nodded. "And he's officially our dad," she chuckled. "I think he likes you more than me," she laughed. I shook my head with a smile. 

"No way. You had to hear him telling Robby and me about your karate days," I smiled. "He adores you, Sam. You're his pride and joy," 

Sam smiled. "Oh, hey, it's starting!" 

"Fighting out of Topanga, we have Topanga Karate." the announcer said, and the woman beside Amanda stood up, cheering. 

"Topanga! You kick some ass, Xander!" she yelled, and I snorted. 

"Go Xander," Amanda said, scared. 

"From Reseda, returning to the tournament we have--" the announcer was cut off, as Johnny Lawrence and his team of Dweebs entered the arena chanting 'Cobra Kai' over and over again.