28. The x Spiders x Web

I was frozen. How the hell did he have that many? By the looks of it they were all different types as well. Was he a nen thief? After a moment I tentatively took his cold, pale hand and shook it. Instead of responding I just kind of... nodded. He looked me up and down and I felt a shiver go down my spine. He could see how terrified I was of him, much more than the others and he placed his arm around me, guiding me to an accompanying room.
"By the look in your eyes, I can already tell you have it." He said softly, his voice emotionless and silky.
"Where are we going?" I asked, trying not to shake or pull away from his touch. I wanted to but I knew that if I did he might try to hurt me or threaten the boys.
"We're just walking. Is that alright?" Chrollo asked softly, watching me carefully.
"Yes. Please let go of me." I asked politely, my voice almost catching in my throat. He did. I breathed a sigh of relief and looked at him again.
"You're a nen thief, correct?" I asked calmly, focusing my eyes on Chrollo. He was a strange yet attractive man.
"You could call me that, yes." He didn't seem fazed. Clearly, Chrollo didn't see thievery as an insult. This was the man who killed my mother. I felt anger and sadness well up in me. How the hell was I supposed to talk to the man who singlehandedly tore my family apart?
"What's your name?" I blinked, roused from my thoughts. I was trying not to shake or do anything stupid.
"Akasuki. Akasuki Freecss," Chrollo raised an eyebrow. He must've recognized a part of my name.
"Freecss? Where have I heard that name before?" He asked, clearly demanding an answer despite his soft tone.
"My cousin is the Boar of the 12 Zodiacs. Ging Freecss. My mom was a Guardian Hunter. Eiko Freecss. She was murdered by your Troupe 5 years ago." I looked the man in the eyes, anger, and pain in my own. He only nodded. He didn't care. He didn't care that my mom was dead and he didn't care why I was mad. I don't think Chrollo ever let himself dwell on the past.
"Hm. Well, my condolences. I suppose that we should now look for the Chain User, yes?" It took everything in me not to punch him right there. I wanted to murder the shit out of his gorgeous face. I hated him with all my being. There was so much I wanted to do but all I could do at that moment was nod.

Thirty minutes or so later I found myself walking the streets of Yorknew, accompanied by Chrollo Lucilfer, the pink-haired woman who I'd learned was named Machi, Hisoka, and Pakunoda. Machi had a nen string tied around my wrists and ankles that she could pull at any time and Hisoka also had his Bungee Gum attached to my back to prevent me from escaping. Not that I would have tried. Eventually, we came to a mall. I surveyed the room, eventually landing on someone whose nen abilities were Chain Jail, Emperor Time, Dowsing Chain, Holy Chain, Judgement Chain, etc. I pointed. The person was wearing a skirt and shawl that was navy blue with gold accents. Then he turned. And my heart stopped. It was Kurapika. Kurapika was the chain user. And I had just pointed him out to the Troupe. They watched the color drain from my face and noted it. Pakunoda looked at me.
"Who is the chain user and how do you know him?" Then she touched my arm. She would know. She would know everything. He would die and it was my fault. I heard her tell the others and Chrollo pushed me forward.
"Well, go greet lover boy." I stumbled towards Kurapika. Every step felt heavy like my feet were weighed down by bags of water. Kurapika turned, a smile appearing on his kind face. My face flushed red.
"Akasuki!" He grinned and walked up to me, throwing his arms around me. I hugged him back, shaking.
"Kurapika I'm sorry... They were going to torture Gon, I had to do something and I didn't know you were the chain user..." It took everything in me not to cry as I explained quietly. Kurapika pulled away, looking at me before looking at the Troupe members behind me, unadulterated anger amd hatred filling his aura. Chrollo approached smugly, placing a hand on my shoulder. Kurapikas fists were clenched and all I saw was cold hatred in his eyes.
"Hello, Chain User." Kurapika watched us and used gyo to see the bungee gum and thread holding me hostage.
"Spider." He spat with contempt, his eyes flaring red beneath his contacts.
"Come to the auction tonight. We'll be there." He smirked, knowing that Kurapika understood his threat. Then he lead me back to the group with only Kurapikas anger in the background. The ride back was quiet and full of tension. I tried to stop myself from shaking. I had failed in every way possible. Either way, one of the ones I loved was in danger and it was my fault. I needed a plan. Some way to save everyone. I hadn't seen the boys. Chrollo led me to a small room where he read for hours on end. I bit my tongue until he finally spoke.
"So, how long have you known the Chain User?" He asked curiously, watching my every movement. I hated being watched. Being examined.
"For a few months. We met at the Hunters Exam." I said, finally calm enough that I wasn't shaking. He nodded a little.
"Well, did you pass? Are you and the Chain User Hunters?" I nodded. There was no use lying or not answering. He could hurt Gon and Killua if I didn't comply or use Pakunoda to tear the information out of me if he wanted to.
"With your professional opinion," He said mockingly, either referring to my Third Eye or my position as a Pro-Hunter. "How would you say the Chain User measures up compared to us?" I flexed my fingers. Honestly, I couldn't tell how he had beaten that member. His nen didn't appear strong enough for such a feat.
"He is a mystery to me. His nen appears weak yet he allegedly defeated one of your men." I said, no disrespect in my tone. I wanted to be disrespectful. I wanted to scream and fight even if it killed me but.... no. There was too much at stake here. I couldn't throw my life away. I couldn't throw Gon and Killuas lives away. So I behaved. He nodded and we sat in silence for a while until it was presumably time for the auction.

We were now in a large, empty room. He had me sit against the wall as he watched the door, reading his book as well. After a while, I felt a new presence. It was Kurapika and he meant business.