11. Traveling x With x Secrets

I walked back to my friends, disappointed and shocked. I had looked for Hisoka afterward but I couldn't find him anywhere. I braided my hair anxiously as I walked back, finally admitting defeat. Pokkle was walking away and gave me a warm smile as he did so.
"See you around!" He said. I nodded in response, barely even acknowledging his presence in my mind.
"See you." He walked away and I returned to my friends.
"Where'd you go?" Gon asked, his voice light and curious. I tapped my foot and tried to calm myself before responding.
"Remember how I told you Hisoka knew a secret of mine?" I asked. Kurapikas eyes widened as he realized where I was going with this. Gon nodded while Leorio looked extremely confused.
"No?" He asked, scratching the back of his head. I remembered that he hadn't been there when we were walking to the second phase. I briefed him on how Hisoka knew a secret no one should and Leorio looked really concerned.
"Is that what you went to talk to him about?" Kurapika asked. I nodded.
"What's wrong?" Gon asked, watching my tapping foot and furrowed brow.
"Yeah, it doesn't look like you got the answers you wanted.." Leorio observed. I nodded and sighed, placing my hands at the back of my head.
"Yeah.. he answered some of my questions but to be frank, his answers made me have more questions... Don't worry about me though! Right now we need to focus on finding Killua!" I said, putting on a smile. My friends looked concerned but let me change the subject. That's when Leorio appears to realize something and hits his hand on his knees.
"We should've asked him about Kukuroo mountain!" He exclaimed, distraught.
"Oh.. yeah... I guess you're right,"
"Well, we're all Hunters now. Chairman Netero made that much clear. And it's probably not the best idea to let other Hunters know what you're doing. Better to look it up ourselves!" Kurapika said, extending his arms warmly. His voice was soft and inviting and I felt comforted. Leorio and Gon laughed nervously and I just nodded, trying to contain my feelings. Suddenly, someone interrupted our conversation.
"Gon, may I speak with you for a second?" I turned to see Satotz, the examiner for the first phase of the exam looking at our group.
"Mr. Satotz!" Gon exclaimed eagerly. I smiled warmly at the examiner as Gon ran to him. He gave Gon his Hunters License and then we left to go to the lobby as Satotz asked to speak to Gon privately. As we stood waiting I felt Kurapika take my hand. My face flared red as I turned, my eyes widening. He gave my hand a reassuring squeeze and smiled at me.
"It'll be alright," he said softly. I nodded. I had my friends with me after all! I loved them, and they loved me. I felt like I could do anything with them at my side.
"Yeah kiddo, we got you!" Leorio exclaimed, messing up my hair. I scoffed in mock offense.
"Number one, I'm seventeen, not much of a kid, and number two how dare you mess up my hair!" I exclaimed, chasing after him playfully. Our teasing was interrupted when Gon came back, looking especially peppy. I smiled at him and we eagerly went to a computer, ready to find Killua. Kurapika sat down and started the search as Gon, Leorio and I stood around him.
"First, let's look for Kukuroo mountain." We did and found out that the mountain was in The Republic of Padokea.
"It will take three days to arrive by airship. When do you think we should leave?" Kurapika asked. I waited for Gon and Leorio's responses.
"Today! Right now!" Gon said excitedly. I could tell he hated being away from Killua.
"All right, I'm with Gon!" Leorio seconded. Kurapika looked at me with his warm gray eyes. I blushed and nodded. He smiled and turned back.
"Got it! I'll order the tickets then." And with a click of a button, we would be off to find our friend.

We waited in a cab during the worst traffic imaginable. All of us were tense and scared we would miss our flight.
"What's going on? It feels like we've been stuck here forever!" Leorio exclaimed, looking especially annoyed.
"This is bad. At this rate, we'll be late for our flight..." I muttered to myself, trying to get comfortable in the tiny car.
"Hey pops, do something!" Leorio yelled, slamming his hand on the seat divider.
"Nothing I can do about traffic. Plus, this is the only road!" The driver exclaimed.
"In that case!" Before I knew it we were running along the bridge to the airport. Blood pumped through my veins as we did, memories of the first phase of the Hunter Exam filtering through my mind. I grinned and pumped my legs, running even faster than my friends.
"Hey wait up!" Gon yelled. I grinned back at him. "No way, Jose! You gotta catch up!" He grinned back and suddenly we were racing to the airport. The feeling of adrenaline in my veins, wind in my hair, and the sun on my back was my favorite in the entire world. I felt like I was in the jungle again, running my morning jog.