9. The x Last x Stretch

When we arrived at the exam site we discovered that the fifth and final phase of the Hunters Exam would be a bracket battle. Chairman Netero finally revealed the brackets to us once we arrived and as I looked at the board I was puzzled.
The brackets went like this. First, Gon and Hanzo would fight. Next, it would be Kurapika and Hisoka. After that, Killua and I would fight. Then, whoever lost between Gon and Hanzo would have to fight Pokkle. Then whoever lost between Hisoka and Kurapika would have to fight Bodoro. Then, whoever lost between Killua and me against whoever lost against either Pokkle, Gon, or Hanzo. The bracket continued down but my main conclusion was that I would have to fight Killua. Since we would be disqualified if we killed our opponent and since Killua and I were friends, I had no doubt that we'd spar but wouldn't hurt each other too much.
With this in mind, I stood and waited for the exam to start. It began with the fight against Hanzo and Gon. The fight was torture to watch. The whole time I just wanted to grab Gon and take him to safety then teach Hanzo a lesson but I couldn't do it.
The only thing stopping me was Gon's eyes. They were filled with so much determination and hope that I couldn't bring myself to help him and end up disqualifying him. Tears filled my eyes as I watched Hanzo throw my little cousin around and torture him. Kurapika held his arm out in front of me to ensure I wouldn't try to help. Eventually, as the knife was to Gon's skull, Hanzo conceded. He lost. My eyes widened in shock and joy as the words passed his lips. Gon had done it!
As soon as I heard that Gon had passed I ran into the arena and picked up his wounded body. I hugged him and as he slipped out of consciousness I whispered, "You did so good. I'm so proud Gon." He smiled and passed out. An examiner came over and said politely;
"Ma'am we can take care of him now." I nodded and placed his small body on the stretcher then watched them take him away.
After that was Kurapikas and a Hisokas match. I was terrified. I knew Hisoka would most likely not kill him but still.. he was incredibly powerful. Would he hurt him? But before the battle could even start, Hisoka just walked to Kurapika and whispered something in his ear.
After that, he put his hands in the air. "I lost," my eyes widened in surprise and I looked to Kurapika. He was visibly shaken. When he came back I didn't even have time to ask what had happened before it was time for Killua and I's match. We walked into the arena so we were facing each other, tension filling the air.
"Okay, so neither of us wants to torture each other, right?" I asked. Killua laughed. "Yeah, not really." I nodded again and thought for a moment
"So let's make a deal. How about, whoever can hold the other person by their ankle in the air first wins and the loser has to concede?" I asked. Killua looked like he was thinking for a moment before nodding.
"Deal." He walked to the center and held out his hand. I walked up and took it, shaking it.
"Deal," I smiled and we walked back to our places for the match to start. As soon as the examiner told us to go, I saw Killua disappear. I quickly used en and I knew he would be to my left, going for my ankle. I use my vines to wrap around him as I dodge. He dodges the vines and manages to cut a couple as I back up. Our places had been switched. I looked at my nen vines and smirked.
"Not many people can get a scratch on these. Nice one Killua!" I exclaimed, releasing them. He narrowed his eyes.
"What is that?" He asked, puzzled as he looked for the answer. Wow, he really had no clue, huh? After this, I will have to tell him and the others about nen. It was too dangerous for them to not even know it existed.
"I'll teach you later if you teach me some cool assassin stuff," I offered as we started to walk in a circle.
"Sure," he said, smiling again before launching himself at me. I use en again to sense where he was going. He was above me. I flatten myself to the ground and let my vines shoot out to grab him. This time he's a lot more prepared and dodges seamlessly, reaching for my ankles. In the nick of time, I pull them out and turn, bringing my ankle to hit the back of his neck. He bends down and reaches for my incoming ankle when I use my remaining leg and an emitter technique to send me high up in the air. I do a backflip and land on my feet, a few feet away from Killua. I grinned and started walking towards him.
"Having fun, kiddo?" He scoffed and prepared for my attack. I ran at the speed of light, blocking the direction he was trying to run away from, and grabbed his wrist. He twists out easily, ducking underneath my legs and reaching for my ankle. I do a cartwheel out of the way and send a vine shooting his way. To my surprise, he actually holds his ground and tries to grab it and cut it. I smile as he grabs it, but since it's my Tether vine, it's incredibly strong. He can barely get a scratch on it as I send another vine to his ankle while the other one is wrapped around his chest, capturing him. It takes it and tries to escape but I tighten Tether slightly. Not enough to hurt him, just to keep my grasp. Once there I grab his ankle and release my vines as I tip him upside down.
Killua looked pissed but sighed. "I surrender."
"Number 406, Akasuki Freecss has passed the 287th Hunters Exam!" My eyes widen as I put Killua down. He glares at me, clearly annoyed.
"You better teach me what the hell that was." His voice was rough and he looked away shyly. I simply nodded.
"Honestly once you know nen, I think you'll be much more powerful than me," I said with a smile before ruffling his hair. He blushed and looked super embarrassed, shoving my hand away.
"Yeah... whatever..." He said, trying to hide his reaction. I giggled slightly. I knew that he was just embarrassed to be treated like a kid. But I would treat him like one. I could tell that as a Zoldyck, he had never gotten a childhood. So, I would try to give some of that to him while respecting him as a powerful individual. I looked at him with respect.
"You did amazing, Killua." He looked at me, his eyes wide. Then he turned away and frowned.
"Yeah of course I did." He mumbled. I turned to Netero.
"Can I watch over Gon for the time being?" I asked. I was worried sick. He could tell and nodded.
"Since you're family. Pierce, take her to where Mr. Gon is resting." I smiled back at my friends and gave them a thumbs up.
"See you after you guys pass!"

○○

 Akasuki watching Gon get his shit rocked mayhaps