2. A x Rocky x Start

Walking into the underground and strangely open yet closed in space, I was handed a number badge, number 406 and then I surveyed the competition. Most didn't appear to know nen, except for two. I turn my attention to them. One was a weird man with pins all over his body. He looked strangely deformed but I saw nen around them. He was using the pins to transform his appearance. I narrowed my eyes and glanced at his number. 301. I furrowed my brow and committed the number to memory. His aura was exceedingly powerful. A deep purple of pure power and little emotions. It was completely unsettling.
Next was number 44, a man with a much more... flamboyant approach. He had hot pink hair with purple highlights going out behind his head. His skin was pale as bone and his clothing had symbols of card suits, like a clown or some kind of weird magician. On his cheek were two painted on symbols. One a teardrop and the other a star. His eyes were yellow and completely emotionless. Then, as I observed, he turned his gaze to me, staring at me.
I felt him push some of his aurae at me like a greeting. Or a threat. I keep eye contact and do the same, strengthening and flaring up my aura. His mouth twists into a smirk and then he turns away.
"Suki?" I turn to see Kurapika. His hand was on my shoulder and he looked concerned. That's when I saw a short and stout man in front of us. Apparently, they had been talking to him, but I had yet to notice. I bite my lip and turn to my friends, checking out the guy.
"Suki, right? I'm Tonpa! Nice to meet you," I nodded slightly. The man's aura threw me off. He looked pretty harmless but the bloodlust in his aura said otherwise.
"So this is your thirty-fifth time? Do a lot of people retake the exam a lot of times or is that just you?" Gon asked. I stifled a laugh. Gon was completely unaware that he was insulting the man and it was honestly entertaining to watch.
"Well, I may hold the record, but yeah there are others, for instance..." I listened to him explain some of the other returning applicants until he was interrupted by screaming. I turned to see a man on his knees as his arms turned into flower petals. What the hell? I asked myself silently. The tension in the room was so thick you could cut it with a knife.
"My, how unusual... it seems this poor mans arms have turned into flower petals.. now you see them, now you don't." The man with the strong aura and pink hair had started talking. Number 44. Before I could even think, I ran to the man to assess his injuries. Number 44 continued talking but I could tell he registered my presence at his victim's side.
"He should've been more careful, and really should apologize when he bumps into somebody~" I turned slightly and felt his ren starting to surround me as he spoke. I narrowed my eyes and grit my teeth, enveloping myself in my ten, and extending it to the injured man. Number 44 smirked slightly and turned, walking away. As soon as he did, I created bandages out of nen.
I'm a conjurer and over my years of practice have learned how to make several objects, including bandages, vines, and roller skates. I went to work on the man's injuries, tuning out the crowd. He wasn't bleeding much, especially considering his arms had been severed, but I realized the man's nen must have been like a heated knife, almost burning his victim's wounds to sterilize them. After I bandaged him, someone from the outside came to take him to the hospital.
"Thanks," He said, softly. I nodded. As he walked away I felt the crowds eyes on me. I narrowed my eyes and huffed. "Move along," I said almost angry. The man had been gravely injured but I'd been the only one who attempted to help him. Before I could turn around myself, there was a hand on my arm, turning me around. I looked and saw Leorio.
"Are you crazy?! He could have killed you!" I shrug off his hand and narrowed my eyes. I felt angry.
"So what? If I just stand by while people are in danger then I'm going against everything I believe in. Even if it means dying, I will always help people who need it, got it?" I said, conviction and anger in my voice. I felt someone's eyes at the back of my head and immediately knew it was number 44. I turn, anger welling in me, and activate my ren. I let it say one thing;
Leave me alone.
The man raised an eyebrow but just smiled in response. That stupid smirk infuriated me, even if I'd only seen it a total of three times. I turned back to my friends and sighed, trying to let my anger go for now.
"Who is that guy?" I ask Tonpa. He narrows his eyebrows.
"Number 44? He's the resident psychopath, Hisoka the magician. He was the number one pick to pass last year's exam until he almost killed an examiner he didn't approve of." Hisoka, huh? Hm. I really didn't like the guy and after that little stunt, I knew I had to keep my friends away from him.
"Huh?! Why's he here? They're letting him retake the exam after something like that?" Leorio exclaimed. I shrugged. The Hunter committee really didn't have standards. All they cared about was strength in the end, but I suppose Leorio didn't know that. After Tonpa explained the committee's lack of standards he pulled out some juice. I raised an eyebrow as he said, "Oh! I almost forgot! Let's have a toast to friendship. What do you say?" He asked, handing us each a juice. I frowned as the others willingly accepted it. His aura was screaming deceit and I almost got frustrated with how my friends couldn't see it.
"Don't even bother." I sighed, watching them stop for a moment. Kurapika's brow furrowed in suspicion.
"What's wrong?" He asked, already about to sip the drink.
"Don't trust this guy. He put something in the drinks," I say simply, resting my arms behind my head. Leorio's eyes widened and so did Kurapika's, but Gon's expression remained the same.
"Why would you think that?" Tonpa asks, clearly sweating like he's been caught in a lie.
"Easy. Your body language. When I mentioned that you tensed up as if caught. While someone who was wrongly accused would be confused, but not tense." I yawned and took Kurapika's open drink, letting my tongue touch a little bit of juice.
I swallow the sip and sigh. "Laxatives," I said simply, sitting down on the cold ground. Now Tonpa was sweating and my friends looked pissed off.
"Are you serious? Did you actually try to poison us?" Leorio asked, visibly angry. Tonpa was on the defensive and I giggled as he tried to defend himself. He lied and said it was an accident and we all just pretended to believe him.
After that little fiasco, Kurapika sat down to join me.
"So, are you excited?" I asked, a small smile on my face as I watched Gon excitedly talk to Leorio about the upcoming exam.
Kurapika sighed a little. "You could say that.. I'm honestly anxious for what it entails," He admitted. I nodded and leaned my head up against the wall. I understood what he meant.
"Did you see number 301?" I asked quietly, surveying the room again. I turned my attention back to Kurapika and his face was set in determination and thought. He nodded.
"We have to make sure we steer clear of him and Hisoka..." he said softly.
Before we could continue our conversation, the wall on the far end of the arena lifted, and a man came into view. I decided to stand up and start watching.
"I apologize for the delay, thank you for waiting. The entry period for applicants is now closed. Now, without any further ado, the Hunter Exam will now begin." I perked up then turned to help Kurapika up. We stood and waited, the tension in the room seemingly multiplying.
"One final word of caution, if you're short on luck or ability, keep in mind that there's a very real chance you could end up seriously injured. Death is another distinct possibility. If you're willing to accept the risks involved, I ask that you do follow me now. But, for the rest of you, find the exit through the elevator located behind you." Nobody moved towards the exit. I felt the adrenaline pumping in my veins, excitement, and fear filling me. I was excited to become a Hunter. I was excited to be with my friends. I was excited to properly start my life.
"So, it appears that all 405 applicants will now partake in phase one."
The man then turned and started walking. I eagerly started walking towards the Hunter Exam, and my future.