1. New x Beginnings x New x Trials

Whale island. The crystal blue skies and glistening ocean waters made the perfect combination for a secluded paradise. A chickadees song and the calming breeze adds to the scenery as my small body lays in the soft grass. I close my eyes and take a deep breath, allowing myself to meditate in peace. Then, a voice breaks my concentration.
"Suki! Hey!!" I open my eyes and look to see who the voice belongs to. It's Gon Freecss, an energetic twelve-year-old boy with spiky black hair and a zest for life. A smile appears on my face and I sit up.
"Hey, Gon." I greet him as the small boy comes closer. "Is it time already?" I was referring to the boat that would be leaving Whale Island for the infamous Hunter Exam. He grinned and rubbed the back of his neck.
"Well.. not exactly. Aunt Mito wants us home for dinner before we leave! She asked me to come get you," Suddenly I feel warm. For a second I'm confused why but then I realize, it's the feeling of being loved. It had been a while since I had a proper family that even small gestures like this were still out of the ordinary to me. I grin and hold out my hand for my cousin to take. Normally I wouldn't ask a little kid for help lifting me up on my feet, but Gon was no normal kid. He lifted me effortlessly and my grin stayed on my face.
"I don't think I'm ever going to get over how strong you are, kiddo." I laugh, ruffling his hair as I do. He smiles, a slight blush on his face and we head back to Mito's house.

Sitting at the table, eating dinner with a loving family... even if their family was unconventional.. it felt nice. I smile as I eat the warm dumplings prepared by Mito with love, feeling accepted and happy. I had only been with them for three months but sitting there I realized just how much I would miss this. I looked at my meal, a sadness falling over me when I feel a soft hand on mine. I turn to see that the hand belongs to my grandma.
"It'll be okay," she said, giving me a soft smile filled with so much love and strength. I burst into tears and hug her and Mito then finish my meal. As we're about to leave I stand on the porch with Mito and grandma.
"Thank you. For everything. In return, I promise to watch over Gon. I promise I won't let anything happen to him as long as I'm with him," I said, my eyes full of tears and heart full of love and determination.
"I believe in you, Suki. You and Gon will make us proud." I hugged them both again, trying not to cry, and finally let go, looking over the place that had become home. I smile, suppressing tears, and leave, bag in hand, and future on the horizon.

Walking onto the boat, I could feel the tension. All these guys were bigger than us and thought they were better, but with one glance at their auras, I could see the truth. There was not one nen user on the boat but even so, two people stood out to me. To most, they don't look like much but I could see their potential in their auras. Just like Gon, their auras were suppressed but powerful. I smiled at Gon. I hadn't told him about my ability or nen. I could tell he had a lot to learn before he would be able to start practicing nen and I didn't want to impede that.
For now, I would protect him from any nen. The rest of the boat ride went mostly as expected and by the end, only four of us were deemed worthy to take the Hunters Exam. The captain called us into his quarters and asked,
"Right then. Go down the line and tell me your names." My eyes widened as I noticed only the four of us remained. Gon was the first to speak,
"I'm Gon!" He exclaimed, eager, and happy. I smile at him in pride, shoving my hands in my pockets.
"I am called Kurapika," The boy who said it had long, almost shaggy blond hair, a blue poncho with orange edging, and an aura that unsettled me. It was filled with pain and anger. Even standing near his aura sent shivers down my spine. It was like the calm before the storm.
"Name's Leorio." Said a man who appeared to be in his early twenties and wore a navy blue suit and had horrible posture. His black hair was slicked back behind his head and his tiny glasses rested on his nose, not far from his little stubble. Unlike Kurapika, the man's aura was almost calming. He was kind and compassionate despite his brash demeanor. The two contrasted each other in such a strange way that it was almost beautiful.
"Akasuki," I finished. I was sure I didn't look like much myself. My long red hair was braided down my back and my sea-green eyes looked like the water in the swamp on Whale Island. My frilly tank top looked like it would restrict me in battle and my big jacket was tied around my waist. I wore skin-tight red shorts and green translucent frilly pants on top. Finally, I wore green combat boots. I definitely looked like I was ready to walk a runway rather than become a Hunter but that was kind of the point. I wanted to be underestimated. If I was, it would make winning so much easier.
The captain gave us a once over and nodded. "Good good, now why do you kids want to become Hunters?" My eyebrow raised in suspicion until I remembered what happened earlier. All those 'tough' guys had become easily seasick and now we were the only ones talking to the captain. Could it be possible that this is a preliminary exam?
"Woah! You're not an examiner so what's with the third degree?" I just watched as Leorio picked a fight, wondering if he was stupid enough to argue with someone who was responsible for sending us to the exam.
"Just answer the question, dummy." The captain responded with a huff.
"I will! Because my dad is a Hunter. Being a hunter was the most important thing in the world to my dad and I want to know why. That's why I left Whale Island!" I smile at Gon as the hope and determination shined in his eyes. I really hoped that nothing would ever crush that. He was such a pure and positive person that if anything ever changed that I wasn't sure I'd be able to live with myself. The captain seemed somewhat surprised when he heard that but quickly recovered. Something told me he might have known Ging, but I didn't say anything.
"I want to be a Hunter because my mom was. She was a Guardian Hunter who dedicated her life to helping people who couldn't help themselves. I want to continue her work," I said, softly but with conviction. I knew what I wanted to do and no one could stop me.
"Hey! Kids! You don't have to tell that old guy nothin!" Leorio huffed. I shrugged and Gon looked confused.
"But he asked! It's not really a secret." He said, confused as to what Leorio was talking about.
"Get with the program, it's us versus him and I'm not telling him why I'm here!" He exclaimed, pointing at the captain. I sighed and tapped my foot. I was seriously getting annoyed with this guy.
"I'm afraid I have to agree with Leorio," Kurapika said. Soon after a small squabble broke out and the captain revealed himself to be a sort of preliminary examiner. Eventually, the two conceded and revealed their motives.
Based on Leorio's aura, I could tell there was more to it than just money. I wasn't sure what, but I knew he was a kind and gentle person at heart. Listening to Kurapikas reason makes everything fall into place. Of course, he was so resentful. I finally understood. I put my hand on his shoulder, in a way, I understood how he felt. He nodded.
After some more shenanigans, we eventually reached our stop and began our proper journey to the Hunter Exam. Then, after a couple of days of small trials, we were in the elevator disguised as a dining room. I smile as it descends, realizing I finally made it.
But as I looked at my new friends, I knew it was only because of them. Because of Gon's strength and agility, Leorio's heart, and Kurapika's sharp mind, we had made it here. Then, the elevator came to a stop. I turned to my new friends and stood up.
"Are you guys ready?" I asked, waiting at the doors. "You know it!" Leorio said, giving me the thumbs up. Kurapika smiles and nods and Gon grins. Then, the doors open.