8. No x Longer x Alone

TW: Mentions of depression and suicide.

The next couple of days Killua and I spent messing around in the forest. We did some target practice, fished with our bare hands and overall just had a lot of fun. Now we were on the beach, waiting for the other arrivals. So far, all I saw were Hisoka, 301, and a few more. But the lack of my other friends scared me. Did they fail? Or worse, get themselves killed? I felt my anxiety grow as the examiner checked who was still here and if we had our points.
"Only seven applicants passed?" She asked in concern. But as she said that I saw three figures emerge from the forest.
I turned to see Gon, Leorio, and Kurapika looking super beat up, but alive and well walking out of the forest. I broke into a grin, running to my friends. I hug them all and feel them wince under it.
"Thank god you're alright, you guys scared the shit out of me!" I scolded. Before I could continue, the examiner interrupted to see the proof they passed. After they gave it we were loaded onto an airship where I looked over all their wounds.
"I can't leave the three of you alone for five seconds can I?!" I had gone full mom mode as I looked over their wounds and scolded them as Kurapika told me what happened in the cave.
"Gon you idiot!" I exclaimed, smacking the back of his head. "Ouch...." he held it in pain and then I gave him a big hug. "I'm so glad you're alright," I whispered to him. He hugged me back and smiled.
"I'm glad you're okay too." He said. I pulled away and looked over the small boy. His demeanor had changed and we all recognized it. He was more withdrawn and forlorn instead of the happy go lucky Gon we knew.
"Gon.. what happened? How did you get Hisokas badge?" I asked. After he told me I was pissed. "That fucking clown needs to stay the fuck away from you," I said quietly, my voice deadly.
"Yeah, but I'm sure you'll be able to punch him in the face one day!" Killua exclaimed, clapping Gon on the back. I nodded.
"Yeah totally! I just wanna make sure you don't die trying, okay?" Gon laughed and nodded. "Okay!" After we said that, an announcement was heard. Apparently, they would be interviewing each of us... they started with Hisoka and soon it came to me. I walked in, trying to calm myself.
Inside stood Chairman Netero, an older man with huge ears and white hair in a top knot. He had long eyebrows and a long white beard with a grey tip and a blue and white kimono on. This was the first time I had talked to him privately but his aura is the first thing I noticed. He was extremely powerful and most definitely a nen master. My eyes widened as I saw it but I quickly rubbed it off and sat down.
"Please make yourself comfortable, I would just like to ask a few questions to satisfy my own curiosity." I nodded. Based on his aura I figured these questions would be used for the final phase.
"First off, why do you want to become a Hunter?" He asked, his voice sweet but without anything else in it. This man was an enigma that I couldn't figure out. He was powerful yet reserved. He reminded me of myself. He used his appearance as a disguise.
"I want to become a Hunter like my mom. I want to help people who can't help themselves. I want to protect endangered species and innocent people. Does that make sense?" I asked, realizing I was rambling. Netero nodded, seemingly approving of my reason.
"I understand. Moving on, out of the rest of the ten applicants, who are you keeping a close eye on?" Hm. This was an interesting question. I was interested in quite a few if I was being completely honest. Once I got my answer together I answered.
"Number 44, Hisoka and number 301. I'm also keeping an eye on numbers 405, 99, 404, and 403. They're my friends and have lots of potential! As for 301 and Hisoka... I want to keep an eye on them to make sure they keep away from my friends. Their auras are extremely powerful... and unsettling." I finished and Netero nodded once more.
"Well, one last question then we're done. Which out of the remaining nine applicants would you least like to fight?" I didn't even gave to think about the answer to that question.
"Numbers 44 and 301. They're incredibly powerful. I highly doubt I could defeat them." I said, my face set in deep thought and resignation.
"Well thank you very much! That will be all." I nodded and thanked him then left, returning to find my friends. The first person I found was Kurapika, who had already finished his interview. We stood at the window, watching the world and the sunset. The silence was a comfortable one but I decided to break it.
"It's been a while since it's been just the two of us," I commented, turning to look at him. His face was set in his own stoic calmness. I felt my heart flutter. I snapped back to look outside. Damnit! I thought I left those thoughts on Zevil Island... my face was red and although I could feel Kurapikas eyes on me he pretended not to notice.
"Yes, it has." He said simply, his calm voice filling the hall. I turned and sat on the windowsill, turning to see Kurapika. He returned my gaze, his warm brown irises looking at me with an emotion I couldn't decipher. But still, my cheeks felt warm as our eyes met. I bit my lip and looked outside again.
"What did you do after.... after your clan..?" I trailed off but he knew what I was asking. He took a seat next to me and watched outside as well.
"I survived... I went from town to town, working whatever jobs I could get to support myself. In my free time, I trained for the exam. What did you do after it?" I bit my lip. I was still adjusting to the fact that our worlds had been forever changed on the same day, despite the fact that this was the first time we met. It felt like fate.
"My dad moved and settled in the Abnesia jungle. He fell into a deep depression where the only thing that brought him joy was his work. He said it reminded him of my mom. He was a biologist and studied the animals and plants, documenting everything. There was a nearby town where I went to school and got groceries and such... it was lonely." I sighed and ran a hand through my hair which I had unbraided.
"Did you make any friends at school?" Kurapika asked, turning his gaze to me. I returned it and shook my head.
"No... I was the outcast. The jungle freak with the dead mom.." I tilted my head up to look at the ceiling, running my hand through my hair and shaking my hand to loosen the knots.
"I spent those years training and in nature. My dad got worse and worse. There were many days that I had to make dinner myself. I was really independent for a kid... then, about four months ago now my dad finally gave up... He killed himself. I was the one to find the body. After that, I was sent to live with Gon. His aunt and him were the only known family I had. Ever since my mom died I've been alone.." I let out a breath and felt tears in my eyes. Kurapika took my hand and I turned to look him in the eyes. He placed his free hand on my right cheek and wiped my tears.
"Akasuki.. you may have been alone then but... you're not anymore. As long as I live I will always be with you. Gon, Killua, Leorio and I? We're your friends. You're not alone, Akasuki Freecss." My eyes widened and I burst into tears, hugging Kurapika. He held me and ran his soft hands through my hair as I cried. After a few minutes, I pulled myself together. When I looked at him again I felt different. He felt different. It was a good different. Our eyes connected and it felt like he understood me. I wanted to reach out... I wanted to kiss him.
"Thank you," I said instead. He smiled and nodded. I backed away and let go of him. I loved that smile. It suited him and every time I saw it made me want to see it more.
"Well, I got to go. See you soon, Suki," He waved goodbye and left. I felt starstruck. That's when I realized... I liked Kurapika. No, was that the word? What did people at school call this? Didn't they say like-like? I wasn't sure but I knew something for sure. I had a crush on Kurapika Kurta.