8

Right now I really wished I had Hayley's number because I was about ready to pull that bright orange hair of hers out of her skull strand by strand. She said that after the dance she would make sure Jamia left me alone, but here she was with my phone number?

"Okay, just breathe, you don't have to respond to her," I sighed, I felt bad for her. She was crushing on the gay dude. That's gotta suck, liking someone you can't have. Huh, sounds familiar, doesn't it.

I decided to just forget about it and sleep on it but regretted that when I woke up to three more texts from her. Jesus Christ. For a little crush, she sure was clingy.

If you're not busy this weekend, we should go see a movie or something

I mean if you want

We don't have to if you don't want to.

I didn't want to.

I dialed Mikey's number, our conversation from last night made me think he had something to do with this.

"Hello?"

"Why the hell did your girlfriend give Jamia my phone number?" I asked.

"I don't know," he had a slight change in pitch halfway through which made it clear he was lying. He was a terrible liar.

"You really are a jerk," I was only half serious.

"Look, Kristin gave it to her before I even knew."

"How did she get my number?" His girlfriend wasn't even in my contacts.

"She took my phone?" It was a question, another lie.

"I guess being a dick runs in the family, huh?" I snapped.

"Okay, look, I wanted you to get off your little 'Gerard' train and find something else to focus on. Why don't you guys just go hang out as friends? You might not like her, but at least you wouldn't be pining over my brother," I grumbled and laid down, staring at the ceiling.

"Please," he pleaded. God I hated him so much right now.

"I'm gonna go," I said, not hiding my annoyance with him. I hung up and went downstairs to eat breakfast.

The day was slow, I didn't want to talk to Mikey at all. How could he have done this to me? Seriously, this was a new low. Trying to get me with some straight girl. So much for best friends. I went to bed early that night, tomorrow was Christmas Eve Eve.

"Mom! I'm going to Mikey's!" I called out, I needed to have a face to face with him.

I didn't bother calling beforehand, which ended up completely backfiring on me when Gerard of all people answered the door. Talk about bad timing.

"Hey," he said, his demeanor was different than the last time we'd spoke, he was being... nicer, dare I say softer.

"Come on in," he invited me in without even asking why I was here. This was a new weird.

"Mikey isn't here," he informed me after I was already inside, "but I think you and I need to have a little chat." I gulped and sat at the counter, he was making a pot of coffee even though it was almost noon.

"What about?" I asked, playing dumb.

"Do you remember what happened at your house..." he paused, "the night of the blizzard?" I nodded slowly, expecting him to hit me or call me an idiot or something.

"Good," he said, turning away from me and pouring himself a cup of coffee, "You want one?"

I nodded hesitantly and he poured another for me. What did he mean 'good'? What the hell was that supposed to mean?