40

After a while of lying there, cuddled together under the night sky, I turned my head to face him. He rolled over too so we were lying face to face.

"Did you um..." I started, god... I don't even know why I wanted to ask. Maybe it'd be best if I just kept quiet.

"Did I what?" He asked, his hand caressing my cheek.

"Did you mean it? What you said... Did--Do you really um.. do you love me?" I said after finally mustering the courage to speak up.

"Yes," He smiled softly, gently tousling my hair with his fingers.

"I did mean it-- and I don't want you to feel pressured to say it back or anything. You don't need to say it if you don't mean it, and if you don't mean it then I don't want you to force it. Okay?" Holy fuck he was perfect.

"Okay," I said softly before pecking him on the lips.

"Okay," He repeated before kissing me back, more passionately than before. I pushed my tongue past his lips and felt his teeth grazing it while I explored his mouth. He wrapped an arm around my torso to pull me closer to him.

I tangled my right hand in his hair before propping myself up on an elbow so I could get a better angle. I allowed him to shift my weight so I was practically on top of him. Our legs were tangled together and our bodies pressed close. The only sound for miles was the sound of my lips crashing onto his. He moaned softly against my lips which for some godforsaken reason made me giggle. Way to ruin the moment Frank.. I felt him smile against me before we pulled apart.

"Have I told you how adorable you are?" He said, a blush creeped up onto my cheeks.

"Stop," I smiled, looking away.

"No, you're the cutest," He booped my nose with his finger. I let myself fall onto him so we were cuddling close together once again.

"Thank you," I whispered, my head was resting on his chest so I could hear his heartbeat.

"Thank you," I lifted my head up to give him a strange look.

"For what?"

"For giving me a second chance," I rested my head back on his chest.

"I'm glad I did," I muttered. I liked this, lying here in his arms in our own world where nothing else mattered. I felt something cold and wet land on the back of my head, startling me.

"Did you feel that?" I asked, rolling over to face the sky.

"Yeah," Another drop fell on me, then another, then we were scrambling to get the blankets back into the truck before we got soaked. By the time we were getting into the car it was raining hard enough to sting your skin with the icy droplets.

"I don't remember seeing rain on the forecast," He said when we got back in the car.

"What time is it?"

"Uh," He pulled out his phone and his eyes went wide, "Shit."

It was 9:38, it would take at least half an hour to get back into town.

"Shit, what are we gonna do?"

"Let me try calling my mom, she'll understand," I tapped at my phone, dialing her number. The line was dead, there was no service.

"Well fuck," I said, banging my head on the back of the seat in annoyance.

"Good thing this isn't a main road," he said before pressing the gas with more force. We lurched forward and I reached over, grabbing his arm.