64; Rehab

Do not read this in public. I beg of you.

___________

Chapter 64

"I like to run the street 'til it's dark out
then come home and blow your back out,
I hope that's okay."

(Raine's POV)

How we made our way back to his apartment, I will never know.

The rain had only gotten worse over the last half hour and we were completely soaked by the time we walked into his place. We kissed each other with damp hair, heavy clothes, and cold skin as if we were inseparable. It had been so long since we'd been physical with one another that the situation seemed like a blurry dream that I couldn't quite comprehend, but I tried not to open my eyes just in case.

"Raine," he breathes against my lips, pressing my back against the wall as his lips graze the nape of my neck. "I don't want you to catch a cold."

A ghost of a smile hints at my lips as I cup his jaw and bring his face to meet mine. His mouth is parted, his lips a deep pink as he rubs the raindrops off my forehead. Our clothes are dripping on the wooden floors and I'm shivering, but I hadn't noticed until he pulled away.

"You're worried about a cold?" I tease him, stroking his beard softly.

"I know you get cold easily so... yeah, I guess," he mumbles in a embarrassed hush as his hands begin unbuttoning my coat so he can get the soaked clothes off of me. Biting my bottom lip to suppress a smile, I drop my head against the wall behind me as he does this, sliding my coat off my body.

"Let me get you some fresh clothes," he tells me, grazing a soft kiss against my cheek. "Don't leave, please."

"I won't," I assure him, kicking off my shoes as he walks away. He's right- if I don't get warm soon, I'll most definitely catch a cold that I can't necessarily afford considering there aren't any sick days in my line of work. A doctor's note won't get me out of torturing my ex-boyfriends ex-girlfriend, I suppose.

He comes back with a towel and some clothes for me to change into. The entire situation seems awfully familiar and I find myself getting nostalgic, especially when he hands me a Pink Floyd T-shirt, the same exact one I wore on the first night I spent with him. He notices me staring at it and smiles, happy that I remembered something so small in the grand scheme of things.

"Restroom's right there," he nods to his left. "I can make you something warm to drink. Coffee? Tea?"

The familiarity that once existed between us seems to have vanished now. Such small things he is doing seem completely different than the boy I once knew, but that doesn't mean it's necessarily a negative thing. He's a man now, so his regular routine of sex has been carefully curated with activities to make me feel less like an overnight guest. I'm not sure if I like it or not, considering the terms of our arrangement haven't exactly been laid out yet.

"I'm fine. Thank you." With a tight lipped smile, I make my way into the restroom and take a deep breath once I'm alone. This is exactly what I didn't want- time to think. As I take off my wet clothes, I realize I'm not exactly making the best decision right about now considering the fact that Zayn and I haven't been speaking for the better part of a year. Kisses in the rain wear off, and all that I'm left with now is a cold reminder of the time we got caught up in the moment even though we both know better.

Warm water washes over my face as I lean into the mirror, trying to talk myself out of making a mistake tonight. I can't sleep with him knowing I can't forgive him, that would make both of us very confused. Not to mention the unresolved feelings I have for a man who cares about me so clearly he's willing to help me literally torture his own blood. There has to be some sort of credit for that.