13; iT's YoU

Chapter 13

"Am I wrong for wanting us to make it?"

(Zayn's POV)

I'd never seen Raine like this before.

She hadn't said a word since what happened outside of the casino. Although I don't blame her for being so shaken up, I wish she'd talk to me instead of staring blankly ahead of her with her arms crossed in her lap, not even blinking.

"Raine," I attempt again, standing across from where she's sitting, my arms crossed over my chest. Everyone around me in the van celebrates that we got the flash drive and Matías is dead, but Raine can't seem to fathom a mere expression.

That's it, I can't take it anymore. Her state leaves me uneasy, haunted by the feeling of guilt. I kneel down in front of her, taking her face in my hands. She finally snaps out of whatever though she's stuck in, flinching slightly against my touch before she realizes that it's me.

"Talk to me," I breathe, my eyes focused on hers. "Please, Raine. Don't do this to yourself."

She only stares at me, tilting her head confusedly as if I'm speaking in another language. Her eyes narrow at me, her delicate fingers reaching up and brushing a strand of hair away from my forehead.

"I'm okay," she says in a hushed whisper. "I wasn't the one who died tonight."

My heart twists with unbearable guilt. Stricken with culpability, I shudder against her. Never did I want her to be a part of the fucked up shit I've got myself caught into. I wouldn't wish this life among anyone. Not a single person, let alone someone I care too much about.

Before this, I never realized how much I felt towards Raine. Maybe it's because I'm so worried about her, I just don't want anything bad happening to her because of me. I would never forgive myself for it.

"I'm so sorry," I whisper, dropping my hands from her face. She swallows hard and nods, not sure what I'm saying sorry for, but forgiving me nonetheless.

"Malik, stand the fuck up."

I spin around at the sound of Apollo's voice. Out of habit of listening to his orders, I stand abruptly as Apollo approaches me, the bus still moving. Raine doesn't look up at him, her eyes still focused ahead of her.

"This isn't a joke, Malik. Nor is it some romance type shit." He glares at me, taking a step towards me and managing to tower above me, but I don't surrender to his demeanor. "You control your girl and you control her fucking however you need to. She's not going anywhere, which means she's going to need to learn how to shoot a gun and kill whoever needs to be killed. You got that?"

If there's someone I hate most in this world, it's Apollo. This son of a bitch ruined my god damned life while managing to control it all the same. If he didn't have so much control over everyone here, he'd be long gone. I'd have killed him myself. But I can't, because, for some reason, I owe him.

"She's done, Apollo. She repaid you for the tank of gas. Hell, how much was it? I'll pay you for it. Get off her back," I bite back, narrowing my eyes at him. He hates me as much as I hate him, maybe even a bit more. I know of it weren't for his beloved cousin, Ana's, orders not to kill me, I'd be a memory right about now.

"You're not going to tell me what to do." Angered by my boldness, he shoves me back, hard. I stumble but grip the handle, my short temper bursting through my veins.

"You need to leave her the fuck alone, Apollo," I snap, taking another step towards him. "She owes you nothing."

"Ana, get this son of a bitch away from me otherwise I'll kill him!" Apollo shouts, reaching down to retrieve his gun. Right as he does this, Raine gets up off the bench and stands right between Apollo and me, ready to protect me.