70; Ultraviolence

Chapter 70

"I could've died right then
Cause he was right beside me."

(Raine's POV)

He found me.

The thought of him ran through my mind like a lucid continuum and here he is, standing in front of me, looking at me with his raven eyes. The ecstasy seeps through my bones when I feel his hands on my arms, pulling me against him as if to shield me from the rest of the world. My body weakens in his presence, like always, but he doesn't ever takes advantage of me. He holds me like his equal, his most prized possession, his woman. I fall deep into the dream my mind creates of him.

"We have to go. Now."

His voice brings me back to the bitter reality of the situation. The touch in his fingertips is not as gentle as I fooled myself to believe. He's furious in every definition of the word as he glares down at me with a hooded gaze, his darkened voice bellowing like a warning. The world around him starts to spin again, reminding me of the fact that I have caught myself in a tricky situation.

I wasn't supposed to leave the base, not now, not ever. Yet here I am, in the middle of a crowded sex club with drugs clogging my mind with every passing moment. For a brief second, I actually fear the pressure in his voice but the feeling leaves just as quickly as it came. There is no possible way he can bring me back from the haze my mind is in.

"Patrón, I found her," Vex's familiar voice calls out. He's dragging Valencia out of the room when I look at him, the look on her face just as confused as mine. Just a few minutes ago, we were both watching people go down on each other and now here we are, getting caught like we're teenagers sneaking a blunt in our bedroom.

"Take her back to the house in her car," Apollo orders as his eyes continue to look around the room, keeping his guard up at all times. "Make sure you're not followed."

Vex nods once and with one disappointed glance at me, he takes Valencia out of the club. My shoulders fall when Apollo turns his attention back to me. His jaw fixes under his beard with a cunning patience, his eyes snaking up my body in a cautionary gesture but it's enough for me to feel heat rise to my cheeks. His hand tightens around my wrist as he tugs me against him, tilting his head to warn me.

"Did you talk to anyone?"

His voice sends chills down my spine but I shake my head no, unable to form any words in my weakened state. His presence renders me vulnerable.

He nods once, glancing over his shoulder when he notices someone walking towards us. Even though it's just a random man trying to move into the private rooms, Apollo takes that as his sign to leave the premise immediately. He reaches behind his coat and takes out his pistol, holding it in one hand while my hand is held firmly in his other. Before I have the chance to say anything else, he leads me out of the club in a straight path. People stand out of his way when they see him, even if they don't know him. It would take a blind man not to sense the effortless command Apollo holds over every room he walks into. The world has always moved for him if he wills it so.

When I step outside, the warm night dances across my exposed skin like a chilling breath, but his touch warms me whole. He doesn't say anything to me the entire way to the car and my heart frowns at his anger. It isn't until he opens the passenger side door and lets go of my hand that I finally wrap my mind around the troubled atmosphere.

Before I step into the car, I turn to look at him. He's looking everywhere but me, trying to keep his eyes peeled for any potential threats but other than the looming cloud of darkness that follows me, we are completely safe. I take a step towards him, capturing his attention when I set my hand on the side of his face. I feel his jaw clench under my skin as he turns to face me, his eyes stone hard and his lips tight.