1; Wasted Years

Chapter 1

"Maybe we can get ourselves back on the right track."

(Raine's POV)

"21C, 21C. Ah, here it is."

Once I find my dorm room, I take my keys out to unlock it, only to find out it's already been unlocked. Perfect, I finally get to meet my infamous myth of a roommate.

When I twist open the doorknob, all the air gets knocked out of my lungs when I see what a mess the dorm is. Books, bags, clothes, plastic bags, bras — there is something scattered everywhere. So much so, that I can't even tell which side of the room is mine. There's no roommate in sight, which makes me even angrier because who leaves this huge of a mess behind for someone else to find? Jesus.

Deciding I'm not going to let my messy roommate —who never even bothered to meet me before invading my side of the room — ruin my first official day at campus, I take a deep breath. Since my nameless roommate leaves me with no other choice, I take it under my own control to pick which side of the room I want.

After a greatly thought out mental debate with myself, I pick the left side. Satisfied with my decision, I pry through the mess on the floor and walk over to the left bed, grabbing the hem of the bedsheets. Taking a deep breath, I grip the sheet and yank it off my bed, leaving all of the shit on top of it to fall straight down with it. Dusting my hands together, I look at the now clean bed with only a bed sheet and two pillows on it, and I smile. Finally, the clean slate I was looking for.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?"

I spin around to the source of the voice, and I spot a girl standing at my doorway, a can of red bull in her hands. She's a short, beautiful girl with a look on her face that tells me she's is not as excited to see me as I am to see her. She's wearing shorts and a crop top, clearly dressed for the million-degree weather outside. Her wild afro of curls bounces as she tilts her head to the side, eyeing me with nothing but spite.

"You must be my roommate," I smile, setting my backpack on my bed before walking over to her, extending a hand towards her.

She furrows her eyebrows, clutching her can of Red Bull, probably in anger that I just threw all of her stuff on the ground. So, obviously, she doesn't shake my hand, which was quite rude. But, I push it aside because I did throw her stuff on the ground as opposed to setting it neatly on the other bed as I should've.

"I was told I don't have a roommate," she tells me, which does explain a lot.

"Surprise, I guess," I shrug, stuffing my hands in my pockets. "I was told I live in this dorm, so here I am."

She scoffs, pushing past me. Honestly, I don't exactly care that she's being unreasonably mean, not to mention the lousy first impression she's leaving. All I care about is that she knows I'm her roommate, and she respects my side of the room just as I will respect hers.

"My name's Raine, in case you were wondering," I announce since she obviously isn't trying. "I've claimed the left side of the room, so that leaves you the right. Do with it what you will just don't touch my side."

She looks over her shoulder, glaring at me. I pass her a snide smile, showing her that I too, can play the bitch game. Shaking her head, she looks back in front of her, kneeling down to take her things off the floor.

"Raine, where the hell did you go?" I hear Kai's voice say from behind me. I turn around to see him carrying four boxes in his arms, his sunglasses at the tip of his nose. "I had to ask the office where your dorm was. Answer your goddamned phone."