52; King of the Fall

Chapter 52

"If you ain't with me, motherfucker,
you against me."

(Raine's POV)

"And to my right-hand, mi hijo, my eyes and ears- Apollo. New Orleans would be a ghost town without you."

Everyone lifts their hands to clap as Ramone wraps up his speech, which started off as a praise but ended as a letter of gratitude for his successful operation. Apollo is standing beside him on stage, nodding humbly although I know this compliment is nothing short of biblical coming from such a man. Apollo works hard, day and night, and Ramone appreciating him is worth far more than the cash he is making. Respect is the most valued currency in this crowd, and Apollo is stacked up.

"Thank you for this extravagant party, and enjoy your night. Viva la Revolución!"

Chants and claps affirm him as he smiles proudly and is helped off stage with a mass of security following his every move. Many of the people around me have never even seen Ramone and are profoundly starstruck at the man they consider to be their savior. He sets his hand over his heart, seeming more like a humanitarian than the exact opposite.

Still, even I feel a sense of pride looking at such a malicious man. Even though he was the one who took so much from me, he has somehow given me even more. I don't know if my mind is convincing me of this or it's true, but even I lift a glass as he walks by.

He is making his way to his table, but once he spots me sitting all alone in a table meant for Apollo, Ana, Vex, Zayn, Christian and I, he is slightly concerned. Nobody has sat down for more than five minutes, everyone having something to do now that the boss is here in exception to Ana and Zayn who disappeared the moment Ana whispered something in his ear.

Ramone walks over and takes a seat beside me, eyes on us including that of Apollo's. And while I notice this, the boss takes no mind as he simply leans against the table, crossing his arms over his chest and smirking at me.

"You," he says with a slight lift of his chin. "You are becoming more trouble than you are worth."

It occurs to me then that he last saw me long before I was kidnapped, which means he has only heard about my endeavors through a certain gold-coated grapevine. Nonetheless, I pass him a confident smile which he sees right through.

"Let me go, then."

He laughs under his breath, rubbing his fingers through his beard. "I believe it's time to put you to work."

My stomach sinks but I don't falter. "How so?"

Much like Apollo, he thinks through everything before he speaks. His eyes stare at me for far too long before he finally says, "how do you feel about killing your sister?"

Surprisingly good. "What do you mean?"

"We need to take her down," he tells me, sitting up straight as he leans in closer to me. "She is the glue holding Ruiz's operation together and if we get her, the rest will topple over."

I am now caught at a crossroads which was obviously inevitable. It takes everything in my power for me not to throw up right in his face, but my training has allowed me enough patience to keep a straight face to the man who can most certainly understand me.

"It's going to be harder than you think," I say as monotone as possible, trying not to give anything away. "How on Earth will we find her?"

"The same way you have been for the past few months," he tells me which makes my body freeze. Does he know? Is he telling me what I think he is?