44; Way Down We Go

Chapter 44

"Do we get what we deserve?"

(Raine's POV)

My eyes flutter open when I feel my bed sink in to the side. I'm caught between the daze of my dreams and reality for a moment, trying to wake myself up slowly. That's when I feel the massive hangover that clouds my senses. Groaning, I grip my forehead, squeezing my eyes shut.

"Shh, Raine," I hear Zayn's voice say. When I look over at him, I see him slipping on his sweatpants, his eyes on our bedroom door. The clock reads six AM, and that's when I remember bits and pieces of last night. I'm not exactly sure when Zayn and I made it to my apartment, but we spent most of the night together. I'm pretty sure we've only gotten an hour or two of sleep which is clearly not enough for Zayn to be awake right now.

"Zayn, why are you-"

I stop mid-sentence when we both hear the sound of something falling in my living room. Zayn's eyes widen as he turns to look at me with a finger over his mouth. Sitting up on the bed, I clutch my bedsheets around my bare chest, turning to take my gun out of my side table quietly.

Zayn extends his hand and I hand it to him, watching as she cocks it.

"Stay here," he whispers. "Do you have another gun?"

"In the bathroom," I whisper back.

He nods towards the bathroom as I get up and walk to it, my heart racing as I hear him make his way to the door. Once inside, I hastily put on some clothes, grabbing my handgun from my cabinet. I hear Zayn open the bedroom door, but as I load the gun, I hear no shots fired. Just as fast as I changed, I run out of the restroom and towards the living room. Once I'm outside, my heart stops.

Zayn has Moon pressed against the wall, the gun pressed against the back of her head and her hands wrapped around her back. When he sees me walk out, he shakes his head.

"Go back in, Raine," he demands, his voice thick with anger. Even though Moon's face is pressed up against the wall and she looks utterly helpless, she cracks a cunning smile at me.

"I think you should stay," Moon says, her words cocky despite her current predicament.

Zayn presses the gun into the side of her head. "Shut the fuck up. Why are you here?"

As I stand there- in the midst of the man I'm protecting and the woman who would kill him if I made one wrong move- I don't have any idea of what I should do. If I don't do anything, Zayn will take Moon to Apollo, who will indefinitely escape by telling them about my current relationship with them. If I tell Zayn to let her go, my cover will be blown. There is absolutely no way I'm getting out of this situation with complete anonymity.

"Zayn," I finally speak up, choosing my words carefully. He looks over at me, confused by the calmness in my voice. "I think you should leave."

He furrows his eyebrows, not believing what is coming out of my mouth. Moon laughs, getting comfortable in her current state as she watches the situation unfold in front of her. Zayn keeps his eyes on me but his grip on Moon is still strong.

"I'm not leaving you alone with her," he says in a dumbfounded tone, as if there is other choice.

I look over at Moon who cocks a brow at me, challenging me with her eyes. I don't know what to do. The chance that Zayn would walk out right now and never bring this up again is slim to none. As far as he knows, this is the same woman who held us captive and tortured us for days on end. There is no chance in hell that he's getting out of this with the same ignorance he's had for the past few weeks.