82; Love Song

GOAL:
Votes: 150
Comments: 1.5k
______________

Chapter 82

"You know that I'd just die to make you proud."

(Raine's POV)

The shot glasses vibrate on the bar across from me, moving along to the heavy bass of the music that unites every single body in the club behind me. It's loud, so loud that I can barely hear myself think, but I am starting to realize that's exactly how I like it.

The bartender across from me works with record speed, mixing drinks and pouring shots as if she has mastered the art of intoxication on her dainty fingertips. Everyone around her shouts their orders as they move to the careless beat of their night, all while I sit silent and observe the crowd of people around me. What must life be for them to enjoy a night like this, a night where all that is exciting in their lives lies within the four walls of a nightclub as vibrant as this one. As soon as the clock strikes two, they get to go back home and wake up the next morning hungover with juvenile tales to tell their friends who couldn't join them.

Oh, how I envy them.

"You don't look like you're having fun."

I down another shot before I turn my attention to the devious, happier version of myself, the one who carries no heart in her chest to avoid the darkness that lies within mine. My twin sister takes a seat beside me and lifts her fingers to capture the attention of the busy bartender and somehow, without having to say a single word, she gets a martini sat in front of her within seconds. My shoulders fall.

"Is it that obvious?"

She laughs, her blood red lipstick staining the rim of the glass as she holds it up to her lips. I feel the rushing comedown of the coke I took earlier befalling me all at once, and while I know I should let it pass, I do not respond well to abandonment. I am motioning for the bartender again before I know it.

"Ana told me about what happened," she brings up, amused at my misery like she has been since the day I first met her.

"Ana has got a big fucking mouth," I mumble, tapping my fingers anxiously against the granite countertop.

"She does," Moon agrees with me for the first time. "But she wasn't the one who called for his help, you know."

As if my heart couldn't break anymore, Moon just had to come here and destroy what was left of my empathy as well. I didn't care to ask Zayn the details of his treachery because I would much rather treat it as exactly that. If I give him the opportunity to talk himself out of this situation, then he will most certainly find a way to do so. I don't want to know about him and Ana. If for no other reason, then because I have no will left in my heart for it to get broken yet another time in the past hour.

"He called me, he told me where she was, he helped us orchestrate her escape," she continues. Maybe she just likes seeing me destroyed because she's as vindictive as Ana, or maybe there is a small part of her that believes the truth might be enough to set me free. "I was more than happy to let her die."

"She would've told us everything about you to save herself," I grumble, dropping my arm when I realize the bartender isn't even paying attention to me.

Moon's laugh echoes through my ears like a taunting chime. "You think I told her anything? I knew she was an untrustworthy snake the second I met her."

Somehow, this information only seems to disappoint me further. If I hadn't had the confirmation before, I know for certain now that I should have killed Ana the second I find out about her treachery. Holding her captive, waiting for information, and allowing Zayn the opportunity to betray us was all just a mistake I could have avoided had I listened to my gut instinct.