20; Top Off

Chapter 20

"They tryna party with the Queen, they gon' have to sign a non-disclosure."

(Raine's POV)

The last thing I remember hearing before I plunged into a fit of adrenaline was a single gunshot.

Apollo stepped on the ignition, driving fast and recklessly but expertly all the same. With smooth drifts, swift turns, over a hundred twenty in speed, and the confidence only a man like him can carry, he easily zooms past everyone.

The first lap went by in a rush of fear, the thought that maybe I've just got into my death cab and it's only stopping if it crashes. The second lap was when I realized Apollo really does know what he's doing, and I shouldn't hesitate any longer. By the third lap, I was shouting with excitement, yelling at Apollo to drive faster. He laughed, not glancing at me but being able to tell my expression. He went faster, of course, and by the fourth lap, we were both yelling at each other in rapture, pure euphoria at such an equally euphoric pleasure.

He finished with ease in first place, swerving the car onto an empty lot of glass and hitting the brakes. Once the car stops, both him and I are panting, a wide smile on my face and a look of victory on his.

"That was so exciting!" I shout, turning to look at him. He chuckles, running a hand over his face.

"I wanna try!" I shout, unlocking the car door and running out of it before I can even know what the fuck I'm doing. I run towards Raul, the crowd cheering at Apollo's win. When Raul sees me, he smiles smugly.

"How'd you - "

"I wanna drive!" I shout, not even able to think straight. It seems that the high I've got over the experience isn't letting my conscience at bay.

Everyone around me laughs at me, but in that moment I don't care. All I know is that I want to experience this again, the rush, the excitement, the adrenaline. Raul smiles grimly, tilting his head just slightly.

"You're cute, Raine."

"Raine, you can't just run the fuck off like that!" Apollo shouts from behind me. I turn around to see his jaw clenched. "You could get run over you dumb fuck."

"Can I drive?" I plead, bringing my hands together. "Please, please."

"You're kidding?" He furrowed his brows. "You wanna die today?"

"I don't care! It's fun!"

Everyone just looks at me quizzically, as if me asking is any different than anyone else there. You have to start with something to be the best, and this is where I want to start.

"No." He says simply, walking past me and towards Raul. "Don't let her, you hear me?"

"Wasn't going to anyway. These cars are too expensive for me to give to newbies."

Scoffing, I walk up to them, crossing my arms over my chest. "I'm not a newbie."

"You definitely are," Apollo says as Raul lifts his finger, signaling a second round. People start dispersing, picking their cars and getting in position while I stand there angry like a little girl who didn't get her toy.

"That's unfair," I huff, following him as he walks past Raul and towards something else but I don't care enough to find out.

"You're fucking crazy if you think I'm letting you race with those lunatics," he states simply. "One day, you can do it in my car while nobody else is here. But not now."