11; Let's Kill Tonight

Chapter 11

"Show them all you're not the ordinary type."

(Raine's POV)

Along with the chimes of the front door opening, a flood of obnoxious yet homely voices bombard the diner. Laughing, I look up from cleaning the counter to see my brother and some of his friends walk in, cheering when they see me as if I'm doing something great by working in a diner.

"There she is!" Kai exclaims, striding over towards me. A group of girls sitting at the far end all have stopped chewing and are now just staring back and forth between all of the men and the one girl who has their attention.

"You gotta keep it down," I laugh, punching Kai's arm over the counter. "My manager is going to hear all of the commotions and fire me."

"Oh, she wouldn't dare," he grins, and as if he needs confirmation, he starts ringing the bell on the counter obnoxiously.

"Kai!" I shout, my eyes widening. "Stop. Stop."

But he doesn't, and every time I attempt to pry his giant hand off of the bell, he just swats it away. Sighing in defeat, I wait until Noelle, my ginger manager who hates me, walks outside with a nasty frown on her face at all the ruckus. However, when she sees my brother, her features brighten.

"Kai!" She cheers, walking around the counter and going to hug him. "Long time, no see kiddo."

"How ya doin', Noelle?"

"Oh, just perfect!" She smiles like I haven't seen her smile before in the three weeks I've now worked here. Hm, maybe she has something against me.

"Good. You treating my sister right?" He asks, nodding towards me. She looks over at me and furrows her brows in confusion, not believing I'm Kai's sister. Some people would know it from the beginning because apparently we look so similar, though maybe it's because of the dark hair and colored eyes. But then there are other people who can't even believe we're related.

Kai has my father's tan, Puerto Rican skin and defined bone structure while I have my Albanian mother's dark features and lighter skin. As a result of such a strange hybrid, sometimes we are hard to read. Neither Kai nor I know any Spanish because our father wasn't around to teach it, nor any Albanian because our mother never spoke too much of it to us anyways. It's hard to put us together, but the more you know us, the easier it gets.

"She's a slacker," Noelle says eventually, shrugging. "But she's decent to have around."

I grin, "that's the nicest thing you've ever said to me."

Ignoring me completely, she just asks Kai and the boys, "you all want the normal?"

They all let out a cluttered yes, at which point Noelle looks at me and says, "tell the kitchen six Philly cheesesteaks. Wait, six?" She turns back to Kai. "Someone's missing. Who's missing?"

"Zayn," Sam says from behind Kai.

"Where is he?"

"Had a paper to write. He says hi," Rico smiles at her.

Noelle shrugs, then says, "that boy better come visit me before I'm too old to come to work anymore."

"Oh, please," Reph says, "you don't look a day over thirty."