Chapter 1 - Hostages

‘Harry ! Come on ! those croissants aren’t gonna butter themselves !’ Simon yells and Harry runs to him.

It’s been five years since he started working at the busiest bakery in Doncaster. The rest of his week is spent mostly sleeping and hanging out with his mate, Niall, who also works at the bakery. He hates his boss but the job is not that bad. He gets to talk with the most kind and warm old women by his side and help local customers, always brightening their day with a big smile, showing his dimples.

This morning is different though. Harry doesn’t know why but it feels different, like something is about to happen.

It’s been five hours since he began his shift and Mr Cowell is already shouting in his face. He’s not sure why he’s so angry all the time but he needed some sort of kindness in his life and Harry would always try to make him smile, no matter how bloody scared he is of him. He knows he’s not a bad person though, Harry is certain that he is the sweetest father and a loving husband. He just wishes he was a respectful boss.

When he asks him to go to the mall to grab some flour at the grocery store, Harry can’t help thinking that he’s just trying to get rid of him. Today’s Wednesday, which means Mrs Delgard will stop by, as usual, to buy her bread. He’s been witnessing weird interactions between the two and he’s almost glad to be gone to the mall to not feel so uncomfortable.

When he gets there, he sighs, looking at the line waiting for him. He figures he still have enough time before he has to get back to the bakery so walking around shops wouldn’t be such a problem.

He first enters a record store, listening to his favorite bands for free - he would never miss the opportunity to do that every single time he walks in a music shop - before heading to the clothing store nextdoor. He strolls around, not looking for anything in particular, just waiting for Mr Cowell and his mistress to do what they do without him seeing it. How could a man do this to his wife to whom he vowed to be faithful ? Harry will never get that.

He’s checking out a brown leopard printed jacket when someone tugs at it on the other side of the trailer.

‘Um, excuse me, I already grabbed this.’ He says politely, waiting for the other hand to let the item go.

‘Oh , I’m sorry. I didn’t see you there.’ A man walks towards the boy with apologetic eyes. He looks gorgeous. He’s about five foot six, dressed in a black suit matching his classy quiff. He looks important, intimidating even.

‘It’s alright, I’m not sure about the color anyway.’

‘Do you think it’s a bit too much ?’ The man asks.

‘I mean, I like it but…’

‘Oh God, I hate that.’

‘What ?’

‘Shopping without my wife. She’s the one who picks out clothes, I’m shit at it.’ Of course the guy is married, he looks outrageously handsome in his tailored suit, he smells expensive and his hair is screaming ‘I am rich enough to spend a fortune on an overpriced hairspray.’