Chapter 6 - Drama

‘Stay.’ Louis whispers, low enough not to be heard.

‘Your friend is coming.’

‘I can call him back.’

‘…Okay.’ Harry breathes. 'Why not ? I have to use the bathroom though.’

‘Second door on the right at the end of this hallway.’ Louis gestures.

Harry jogs to the door, repeating the instructions in his head. He ends up opening the wrong door anyway and can’t believe what he’s found. It’s a music studio.

There are drums in the corner, three guitars against the wall, a keyboard and a classic white piano . There’s a mic stand in the middle and mirrors all around, covering the walls. The recording machines are on the other side, accessible by a hidden door at the back of the room. As he stands still in amazement, Louis opens the door.

‘Got it wrong, huh ?’

‘Yeah.’ Harry says, not looking at the man, still shocked by his discovery.

‘I can only play the piano if you’re wondering.’

‘That’s amazing Louis. Can you play something for me ?’ Harry says with puppy eyes and Louis rolls his before nodding.

They walk to the piano bench, sitting next to each other, Harry on the man’s left. When Louis starts to play ‘How to save a life’ by The Fray, Harry nearly chokes, making him stop immediately.

‘Oh, no. Go on.’

When Harry starts to sing in unison with Louis, the man stops and lets the boy sing by himself, enjoying his deep voice. As they reach the chorus, Harry’s voice gets stronger, more confident and Louis’ fingers start shaking at the surprise.

When Louis plays the last note and turns with a big smile to face Harry, the boy’s cheeks are red and covered in tears.

‘Harry ?’ Louis tries when he doesn’t look up.

‘I’m sorry. It’s the song.’

‘You should’ve told me. What’s wrong with it ?’

And Harry doesn’t know if he wants Louis to know this part of his life. Are they there yet ? Are they that comfortable with each other they can share so much ? He’s not sure but he opens his mouth and speaks his mind before he can think twice about it.

‘This song sort of got me through high school. I didn’t have the best time. Having a crush on the popular kid, who was a jerk, doesn’t help much. It’s kind of a touchy subject, but this song makes me feel everything I used to feel back then.’

‘I’m so sorry Harry.’ Louis caresses the boy’s cheek to wipe his tears carefully, and Harry leans in his touch. ‘Do you want to talk about it ?’