Chapter 11 - Confusion

Harry wasn’t himself anymore. He wasn’t even a person anymore. He was a ghost, walking around, not getting noticed when tears ran down his face, not talking, not feeling present. He was a negative of a person, and didn’t want to do anything anymore.

Yes he was doing his job because he needed the money, putting up with stupid Ben Winston and his flirtatious way of collaborating, but it was awful and unbearable. The guy would put his hand where he shouldn’t, insinuate inappropriate things, brag about how he was better than Louis at the job and should have it, not him. He was obnoxious and annoying and Harry wanted to just quit, feeling trapped in Hell.

They were going through paperwork when the door opened. To Harry’s surprise, it wasn’t Louis, or his father, it was Zayn.

Zayn Malik was Louis’ lawyer and helped Harry with getting to know more about his job. They would have their own meetings for two hours on Thursdays, a way to sort of teach more about the milieu and get Harry more prepared for Law school, if the boy ever wanted to go further. He was really nice and easy going, a tall – not as tall as Harry but still taller than Louis – brown haired guy with a slightly darker skin that resembled light chestnut, a ponytail and the sides of his head shaved. He didn’t look like the rest of the men in this building. He didn’t took himself for a god and demand things to other workers. He was humble and knew he was lucky to be in his position.

Harry and him quickly got along throughout their ‘sessions’, as we might called them, and they could consider themselves friends.

‘Harry can I talk to you ?’ He asked, gesturing for Ben to leave the room. Harry didn’t want to though. Every time someone wanted to talk, it was to bring bad news and he was fed up with it.

‘Sure.’ He surrendered, not standing up from his seat to greet Zayn as he usually would.

‘What’s going on ?’

‘Nothing. I’m just tired.’

‘You’re lying. I can tell.’

‘Well, even if I was, it’s none of your business I think.’ He didn’t mean to be rude, especially to Zayn, but he hadn’t slept for days and was done acting like everything was fine.

‘Look, I know we haven’t known each other for long, but you’re a good guy, which is something rare around here, and you’re like my brother. I care about you man. I can’t talk for hours about Smith vs Davenport when you look like you want to jump out the window.’ Zayn says as he looks deep into Harry’s eyes. Even the most angry person couldn’t resist those brown eyes of compassion.

Harry sighed, but instead of just a light breath coming out, it was tears staining his cheeks.

‘Oh Harry. Come here.’ The lawyer said as he pulled the boy into a tight hug, rocking him like a crying child. It was most likely inappropriate in the workplace, but it felt good being able to let it out.

Niall working everyday of the week till six, it was nice having some sort of support during this time. Not to mention Niall was beginning to cry himself to sleep listening to Harry’s feelings. Since Harry got beaten up, they’ve been closer friends than they used to be, Niall understanding that Harry had more than jokes in his heart. They would cuddle watching movies late after Niall’s shift in the blond lad’s bed, away from his mom and his problems, allowing his friend to cheer him up with cheesy chick flicks he would cursed at, but wanted to sink in anyway and more than anything: hating on Louis.