Chapter 16 - Panic in London

Louis’ hour of detention with Matty went by so slowly he thought it was going to last forever.

The kid was talking to him non stop about random things: how Jessica had screamed when she found a frog in her locker, the time he made a nine year old kid give him his snack, the time he got into a club and got a drink…The boy was just showing off and Louis was exasperated, fixing the clock and praying for it to turn faster.

‘What about you ?’

‘What about me ?’ Louis hadn’t been listening at all.

‘You’re too grumpy to have a girlfriend, that’s for sure…’ He giggled and Louis rolled his eyes.

‘It’s none of your business. And I’m not single, you smartass.’ Matty sat straight, ready to question his coach about his life and Louis thought he’d strangle him.

‘So there is a girlfriend. What’s her name ?’ He said with glossy eyes.

‘Harry.’

‘Oh.’ The boy surprisingly remained quiet for the twenty minutes left, as if he was shocked or something. To be honest, Louis was just glad he had made him stop talking.

‘Mr Tomlinson ?’ Luke knocked on the door before coming inside the classroom.

‘Mr Healy, hi.’

‘Oh, you can call me Luke.’

‘Well, Matty’s been very chatty today, Luke.’

‘I bet.’ The man said, raising a brow and gesturing for Matty to go in the car. ‘Sorry again for the trouble he’s caused. Can’t promise it won’t happen again, but I’ll make sure he learns the lesson.’

‘Can I ask why he’s like that ? I don’t mean to be intrusive, but I’m worried about him. I used to be a lot like him and I’d hate for him to ruin his future, or himself.’

‘He’s just taken quite hard the recent death of our parents and I don’t always punish him for his behaviour, I still have a hard time myself. I don’t always know what to do…’ Luke looked disappointed in himself and Louis regretted to have asked that question. Harry was obviously right, there was something going on with the kid.

‘I’m sorry.’ Louis said and a silence settled in thought of his parents.

‘I know he’s struggling and I have no clue how to help him. He keeps retaking math classes because he can’t get his grades up, making him redo the year, and I feel hopeless to be honest.’

Louis suddenly felt the need to help them somehow. Seeing Matty’s brother in front of him, ready to fall in pieces, made him want to do something about it. Before he could stop himself, he was accepting to do something he’d never thought he’d do.

‘I could give him math lessons ? I only work here three days a week for two hours and I’m good with numbers.’ Louis suggested and widened his eyes. He was so desperate to help them, he hadn’t realise it meant spending more hours with Matty.