What Happens at Z-Tech, Stays at Z-Tech

Eliza smiled as she walked through the doors of Z-Tech. The place she had once despised had now become like a second home as she made her way through college.

Eliza loved getting to watch and examine the coding and designing that went into creating the Z-band that she wore on her wrist. Z-Tech had recently began developing a new model for the Z-band. It would be a couple years before it was functional and ready, but getting to see the process of creating it is amazing.

Eliza walked over and scanned her badge before stepping into the elevator. She pressed the button and the elevator whirred to life as it took her to the third floor where the tech department resided.

The doors opened and Eliza waved hello and greeted a few of the colleagues she had gotten to know before heading to her cubicle. It was in the corner which gave her more privacy but it also had a window that gave her a view of the forest that ran behind Z-Tech.

Eliza took out her laptop and started it up, sighing deeply as she stared out the window at the forest below. It reminded her of Wyatt. College and their extracurriculars had left them little time to spend together as of late and she knew it was taking a toll on both of them. Not that she would ever admit it, but the puppy dog eyes he gave her everytime she left were torture.

Eliza sighed and tore her eyes away from the view outside her window and turned back to her laptop. She ran a check of all of the security software to make sure everything was functional and their were no breaches before opening the program she had been working on.

Her latest assignment from Dr. Andrews was creating a program that would soon become an app that would be downloaded onto the new Z-band that Z-Tech was currently working on. This app, codenamed Zom-Health, would allow the Z-band to not only monitor the electrical pulses being sent through it and customize the strength of the pulses based on the wearer, but also monitor the wearers heart rate, pulse, body temperature and even blood sugar levels. The new Z-band even had a special port that would allow the Z-bands to not only be charged, but allow doctors to connect the Z-band directly to a monitor to download health data without connecting a patient to any machines. This would allow for quicker doctor visits and alert the wearer of any abnormalities so they can get them checked out.

Eliza was thrilled for the opportunity to work on this project. It encompassed her two favorite things, coding and helping to make things better for zombies. She was so absorbed into her work she didn't hear the footsteps approaching her cubicle.

"Eliza?"

Eliza looked up then immediately straightened up in her chair. "Dr. Andrews, good evening. Can I help you with something?"

"Actually yes, could you come with me please?" Dr. Andrews asked. "And bring your laptop."

"Of course." Eliza nodded, grabbing her things and following him down the hall.

Eliza started to get nervous when they stopped at the end of the hall and Dr. Andrews opened the door to his office. Why were they going to his office? Was she in trouble?

Eliza shook the thoughts from her mind as she entered the room. That's when she noticed Dr. Hazel and Bucky were also inside. Even more confused now, Eliza finally turned to Dr. Andrews. "Excuse me sir, but why am I here?"

Dr. Andrews smiled and beckoned Eliza over to the corner where Dr. Hazel and Bucky were standing. Eliza walked over and that when she noticed that behind them on a blanket in the floor, sitting and playing with toys while babbling happily to himself, was little Zeke.

Eliza raised an eyebrow at the little boy. "O-kay. I've met Zeke before. He's cute."

Dr. Andrews chuckled. "I know you've met Zeke, Eliza. But he is the reason I asked you here. I know that babysitting isn't a requirement of your internship but it seems that Hazel and I made a slight error with our schedules today. Hazel is meeting with patients until 7pm with Bucky and I have to be in an important meeting for the next hour, which leaves no one to watch Zeke."