Hurt

It didn't take long for Walker to track Wynter's scent through the trees. As he emerged from the forest he was met by the sound of crying and the view of a crystal blue lake.

Walker spotted Wynter sitting on a log near the lake, trying and failing to wipe away her tears. He approached her slowly and sat down gently beside her. "Hey."

"H-Hey." Wynter sniffled, turning away as she continued to wipe away tears.

Walker sighed. "Your friend really doesn't want us here, does she?"

"No, she doesn't." Wynter shook her head sadly. "Willa never wants to trust new people. She focuses on the past and she can't let go. "

"Sounds like you're speaking from experience." Walker replied.

Wynter nodded, turning to face him. "Willa didn't trust the people of Seabrooke when we first met them either. All she could talk about was how they stole our moonstone. But the humans, the zombies, they aren't the same people who committed that crime. When they were going to blow up the power plant, Addison, Zed and all the humans and Zombies rallied around us. They did the same thing when they helped us carry the moonstone out of the underground tunnel. After that she learned to trust them. Why can't she see that you're not the same wolves who abandoned us?"

"Sometimes the past holds more significance for some than others." Walker admitted. "Clearly she believes strongly that we are nothing but traitors."

A fresh set of tears welled up in Wynter's eyes. "A-And now she thinks I'm one too, because I helped you."

Walker draped an arm around her shoulders, rubbing her arm comfortingly with his hand. "I don't believe that you're a traitor and I don't think Willa believes you are either.  She ran off pretty upset after you took off. I think she knew she went too far."

"She did?" Wynter asked.

Walker nodded. "Yeah, but don't worry, Wade is going to check on her."

"You sent Wade after her?" Wynter gaped, eyes wide.

Walker chuckled. "More like he went off on his own but I know that's what he was doing."

Wynter shook her head. "He's from your pack. She won't be happy to see him. Willa isn't very friendly when she's upset. She will lash out."

"Don't worry, Wade will be fine." Walker reassured her. "He's good at reading people, so he'll read her body language before he says or does anything. Wade won't overstep his bounds."

Wynter relaxed a bit and sighed. "Okay, that's good to know. I just don't want her to lash out at him."

"If she does, Wade can handle himself but I'm confident it won't get to that. He's good at de-escalating situations." Walker replied. "Speaking of unique traits, that girl Addison looked like one of us but you just said she's from the human town."

Wynter nodded. "Addison is half wolf, but she is also the Great Alpha. The Great Alpha's necklace gave Addison her full wolf powers and made her look more like us."

"Wow, so your pack found the Great Alpha, that is something." Walker smiled. "The Elders always told stories of the Great Alpha but I had no idea a new one had been found."

Now it was Wynter's turn to smile. "Yeah, she's been training really hard to master her new abilities and she's a natural too. I think her years on the cheer team really gave her an edge."

"Cheer huh?" Walker chuckled. "That's an interesting sport for a wolf."

Wynter rolled her eyes. "Why? You don't think it's a tough enough sport?"

"Well, I mean, yeah." Walker replied. "Cheerleaders are peppy and graceful. Wolves are supposed to be intimidating and fierce."

Wynter stood up and started walking away. Walker's eyes followed her movements. "Where are you going?"

Wynter didn't respond. Instead, she turned and ran towards him before going into a round off triple back hand spring. As she went into her final flip she used a bit of wolf power to launch herself over Walker's head. His eyes followed her as she soared over him and then made her landing. When Wynter turned around her eyes were yellow and she flashed her canines, holding up her claws menacingly to complete the look.

Walker sat in stunned silence as Wynter let her magic fade back into her moonstone. "So, still think that cheerleaders can't be graceful and fierce?"

Walker's jaw opened and shut but no words came out. Wynter giggled and beckoned him to follow as she walked away. "Come on, let's head back to the den. Everyone is probably worried."

"Damn." Walker chuckled quietly, shaking his head as he got up to follow her. This girl was something else.

Author's Note

Hooray another chapter down! Today I'm shouting out Jetsam1605 RDwatson2024 and 123Alicerosah123 for all the support they have given me. Ever since I started thr first book I have noticed your names constantly popping up as votes and comments and I really appreciate all of that so much! ❤ Have a great day everyone!

           -Meloetta246