The Championship Game

It was 24 to 20 favoring the Blue Herons. There were 30 seconds left on the clock as the Mighty Shrimp huddled together for a final pep talk.

"Alright guys, we can do this." Zed encouraged. "We just gotta score one more time."

Wyatt sighed. "We know that, but how? Their defense is good and those guys are huge. How are we going to get past them?"

The rest of the team murmured and nodded in agreement. The Blue Heron's defense was hard to beat. Getting past them would be no easy feat.

Zed grinned, radiating confidence. "Don't worry, I have a plan. We need to work smarter, not harder. They've clearly done their homework and studied our moves. So we have to show them something they haven't seen."

"A new play? Right now?" Wyatt questioned. "Are you sure that's the best plan?"

Zed nodded. "I'm sure. So here's what we're going to do, a fake out."

"We're going to trick them?" Wyatt clarified.

"Exactly." Zed nodded before turning to the quarterback. "Jake, instead of throwing downfield Wyatt and I are going to run behind you. You're going to fake left and pretend to hand off the ball to me but you're actually going to sneak the ball to the right and hand it to Wyatt who will run it downfield while hopefully the guys are chasing me, got it?"

The team shook their heads but Wyatt didn't look convinced. "Why me? Why can't he fake to me and give you the ball?"

"Because they are expecting me to have the ball." Zed replied. "We have to be smart about this, and the only way I see this working is for you to run the ball. Understand?"

Wyatt nodded. "I got it. I won't let you down."

"Good." Zed replied. "Alright, 'Go Mighty Shrimp!' on three."

"1...2...3...Go Mighty Shrimp!" They shouted, breaking their huddle and heading back to the field.

"This is it folks!" The announcer shouted. "This play will decide our state champions! Will the Mighty Shrimp make an amazing comeback? Or will the Blue Herons seize the title?"

The crowd whooped and hollered as the cheerleaders shouted cheers from the sidelines. Everyone watching with anticipation as the boys took the field.

The boys got into position and waited for their signal. On cue the whistle blew and they put their plan in action.

"Lykensen-Wells and Necrodopolis are running behind the quarterback Smith. Smith hands the ball off to Necrodopolis. He takes off running and the defense is hot on his heels. They've tackled him!" The announcer shouted. "Wait what's this? Necrodopolis doesn't have the ball! Lykensen-Wells is charging down the field! Its wide open! The remaining defense is charging after him but they aren't going to make it! And he scores! Touchdown Mighty Shrimp! The Mighty Shrimp take the championship in an amazing comeback victory!"

Wyatt ran across the line and raised his hands in victory. He turned to face the crowd and his team, only to get slammed back into the goal post.

Wyatt heard a referee call a flag and a verdict of unnecessary roughness but he was more focused on getting the air back into his lungs.

A voice snickered above him and jeered at his gasps to reclaim the air that had been knocked from his lungs. "Dumb mutt, you should go back to the shelter to crawled out of."

The Blue Heron's player spit on the ground beside Wyatt before sauntering off the field as the rest of the Mighty Shrimp gathered around him.

"Wyatt, you alright man?" Zed asked, kneeling beside him.

"F-Fine." Wyatt croaked out, finally regaining some air in his lungs. "He just surprised me is all."

Zed frowned as he helped Wyatt to his feet. "Well that jerk shouldn't have rammed into you like that. There was no reason for it. Did he say anything to you?"

Wyatt went quiet as the player's words echoed in his mind. You dumb mutt. You should go back to the shelter you crawled out of.

"Nothing man." Wyatt lied. "He's just mad he lost."

"Yeah." Zed chuckled. "Speaking of which, we have a ceremony to attend."

Wyatt followed Zed to the center of the field where their team was presented with the trophy. Zed grinned and held it above his head as everyone cheered. Zed noticed coach walking over and handed the trophy over to Jake, the quarterback, before turning to face him.

Coach handed Zed a smaller trophy and whispered in his ear. Zed grinned and nodded before walking over and handing the trophy to Wyatt. "Congrats Mr. MVP."

Wyatt took the trophy and stared at it in shock. He snapped out of it as his teammates lifted him on his shoulders and began to chant as they headed for the locker room.

"MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP!"

Wyatt laughed and held the trophy up high as his teammates carried him across the field. As they headed into the locker room Wyatt locked eyes with the brute from the Blue Heron's who'd slammed him into the goal post.

At first he frowned, but then Wyatt smirked as he held up his MVP trophy with one hand and flipped the player the bird with his other.

Author's Note

Chapter is done and I'm starving. Peace out.

-Meloetta246