Walk in the Woods

"The strength of the wolf is the pack and the strength of the pack is the wolf."

-The Wolf Pack,
Jungle Book

Wynter groaned as she tossed and turned in her bed. The sugar from the marshmallows was coursing through her veins and excess energy was keeping her from falling asleep. Conceding defeat, Wynter climbed out of bed and changed out of her pajamas. The moon was full and bright, so if she couldn't sleep, she could at least enjoy a moonlit stroll through the forest. Maybe that would tire her out.

Wynter slipped on her boots and crept downstairs, careful not to wake the others. She made it to the front door and listened for any movement upstairs to before heading out. The last thing she wanted was for someone to come down and question where she was going.

Certain the coast was clear Wynter slipped out into the night. She sighed in relief as she stared at the moon's warm glow and headed for the forest.

As she reached its edge the crickets chirped their welcome and the lightning bugs blinked their lights around her. The forest was so beautiful at night.

Wynter walked deeper into the forest, humming to herself as she watched the night's creatures move through the trees. Owls hooted and flew overhead, raccoons and possums watched from the trees, and deer tiptoed quietly through the underbrush, taking their own midnight strolls.

Wynter couldn't help but feel at peace amongst the trees. This forest had always been home and it would always be a part of her.

Wynter wasn't sure how far she had walked when her ears began to twitch. She stopped to listen and picked up a faint murmur. Voices? She turned in the direction of the sound and began to follow it through the trees. But as quick as it came, it vanished.

Wynter stopped to listen to the sounds around her and heard movement not too far ahead. She crept towards the sound slowly, tapping into her wolf strength as she got closer. Then, she pounced.

Wynter lunged through the bushes and tackled the source of the sound. Her tackle was met by a loud 'oof', and a thud as they hit the ground.

With her prey effectively pinned to the ground Wynter looked down and her eyes widened when she saw who was beneath her.

"You." Wynter gasped, narrowing her eyes at the young man beneath her. "Didn't Willa tell you to leave!?"

Walker gave his best attempt at a shrug from his current position. "Yeah, she might have mentioned it."

"Then why are you still here?" Wynter growled.

Walker met her gaze. "We were getting ready to. Your friend made it clear we weren't welcome here."

"We?" Wynter snapped, her glare and grip tightening on him. "You told us you were alone. You lied!"

"Easy there Spitfire. I don't want to fight." Walker replied. "And I didn't lie. When I came to your little campfire, I was alone."

Wynter studied him warily. Willa had said not to trust those from the Lupus pack, and he had kinda lied about being alone. But why was the Lupus Pack in their territory if they knew they weren't welcome?

"Um....are we interrupting something?" A voice asked.

Wynter turned and saw four other wolves had appeared nearby, watching them. A female, clearly the youngest of the group, looked afraid, her eyes focused on Walker.

"Shut up Will." Walker replied, snapping Wynter from her thoughts. "There's nothing to interrupt."

Will