A Step Forward

When Wynter and Wyatt emerged from the woods, Wade and Willa had already returned. Willa looked up from the conversation she had been having with her mother and immediately made her way over.

"Wynter, I am so sorry." Willa apologized. "I was angry and I shouldn't have taken it out on you."

"I understand why you were angry." Wynter replied. "But you should know I would never put our pack in danger."

Willa nodded. "You're right, I should have known that, and I do. I was just too blinded by anger to remember. Can you forgive me?"

Wynter smiled. "Of course. Friends?"

"Always." Willa smiled.

Wynter grinned widely as Alpha Wylda approached them. "Are we ready to give our new members a tour of the den?"

"Yeah, I guess so." Willa sighed.

Wynter frowned as they followed Alpha Wylda into the den. "You still don't like them do you?"

"They're okay." Willa admitted. "I'm willing to give them a chance, but they will have to earn my trust."

Wynter nodded. "Alright, that's fair."

Behind them, Walker noticed the girls heading into the den and began to follow. As he walked, Wade came up beside him and nudge his shoulder.

"What?" Walker asked, turning to face him. Wade flashed him a knowing smirk and Walker rolled his eyes at the implication. "I know what you're thinking, and ots not like that. She was upset and I wanted to make sure was okay."

Wade gave him a disbelieving, deadpanned look in response and Walker crossed his arms. "Don't look at me like that. It's the truth. Besides, what's your excuse for wandering after Willa huh?"

Wade immediately averted his gaze and shrugged his shoulders in response as a shy, bashful smile tugged at his lips.

Wade chuckled as he watched his friend shrink into his shell. "Uh huh, exactly. You can't badger me when you're just as guilty."

Wade looked up and smirked as Walker realized he had just admitted to.

Walker sighed and shook his head. "I hate when do that. Just come on, we're falling behind."

Wade snickered as he followed Walker into the den. Inside they met up with the rest of their group and took a moment to take in their new home.

"Welcome to our den." Alpha Wylda smiled. "We've prepared some sleeping space for all of you over there to the right and you are welcome to explore and take in the cave paintings that are along the walls."

Walker nodded. "Thank you Alpha Wylda, once again for opening your den to us. I promise we will treat your home with respect."

Alpha Wylda smiled. "I trust that you will, now go ahead and get settled. Tonight, we will celebrate your arrival and officially welcome you into our pack."

Time skip brought to you by Bonzo's DJing 🎧

The moon shined brightly overhead as the wolf pack gathered around the campfire. A bowl made of stone was positioned over the flames and Alpha Wylda stood beside it, a smaller bowl in her hand.

She smiled and beckoned their new members forward as she turned to address the pack. "Tonight we welcome the remaining members of our sister pack back into our own. We ask our ancestors for their blessing as we welcome them tonight and to watch over all of us as we begin this journey together."

The five wolves knelt before Alpha Wylda as she turned to the fire and threw a bone into the stone bowl. It cracked and splintered as she watched it before turning to Walker. She painted a curved line with a dot beneath it on his forehead. "Walker Lupus, the ancestors grant you the symbol of the wise. Despite the great tragedy you faced, you were able to make the decisions that were best for your pack. You showed true strength and leadership, well done."

Willa scraped the bone fragments from the bowl before her mother threw in another. Wylda watched the bone crack before turning to Wren and painting a simple curved line upon her forehead. "Wren Lupus, the ancestors grant you the symbol of the trusted. You are a wolf that can be relied on no matter the situation. A good quality for a young wolf."

Willa cleared the bowl and Wylda threw in the next bone before turning to Will and painting a backwards crescent moon on his forehead. "William Barker, the ancestors grant you the symbol of the brave. Even in the toughest situations you stayed strong and were there for those who needed you most, even when you were the most afraid. Very impressive."

Willa had already cleared the bowl by the time her mother threw in the next bone. Wylda smiled and turned to Winnie, painting a lighting bolt on her forehead. "Winona Wagner, the ancestors grant you the symbol of defiance. You are wise and you are not easily influenced by others words or actions. You stay true to yourself, a feat that is not easily achieved."

Wylda threw the final bone into the fire, watching it carefully before turning to Wade and painting a small sun with a crescent moon curled around it on his forehead. "Wade Louvel, the ancestors grant you the symbol of harmony. Past hardships have led you to avoid conflict and focus on maintaining peace. You are able to balance your emotions and actions easily to remain neutral in difficult situations. Most would find this difficult at your age but you have mastered it. However, never forget that it is okay release the emotions you hold back at times. It isn't good to stay bottled up."

Wade nodded as Wylda stepped back and beckoned then to their feet. "The ancestors have given their blessings. They have heard your names and revealed your inner selves to the pack. With open arms we welcome you as our own."

The pack turned to the sky and howled. Walker smiled as he and the others joined in and howled with the pack.

The past was in the past. Tonight, two packs became one.

Author's Note

I did it! I updated! Woohoo! Sorry it's been so long, I've been feeling really tired lately and haven't had the energy to write. Plus, I needed to take more time to plan this chapter. Hope you enjoyed it!         

                        -Meloetta246