The Painful Truth

Bucky had just finished tidying up the room when Dr. Hazel entered. Her smile was warm as she stepped in the room and for a moment the air around them grew lighter. "Hello everyone, I would have been here sooner but I had to get Zeke and bring him with me since Brian can't watch him while he's in the lab."

Little Zeke poked his head in the room, giggling as he held onto the wall for support. Wynter's face lit up and she immediately scooped up the little boy in her arms. "Awww! Hi little zombie. You're so cute!"

Zeke laughed and babbled back at Wynter as he clapped his hands. Dr. Hazel smiled before gesturing towards the door. "Wynter right? Do you mind taking Zeke out in the hall and entertaining him while I take care of things in here? I shouldn't be too long."

"Of course." Wynter smiled before turning to Walker. "If you need anything I'll be right outside."

Walker nodded, watching as Wynter left the room before turning his attention back to the doctor and Bucky.

"So what have you noted so far about her condition?" Dr. Hazel asked.

Bucky picked up his clipboard. "Wren is running a fever of 104.8, I already gave her aspirin and applied ice packs to cool her down. I also noticed her breathing is labored and the lymph nodes in her neck are swollen. She's also dehydrated and physically weak, but I needed you to start the IV fluids."

Dr. Hazel nodded. "You've done very well in your assessment Mr. Buchanan, now let's get that IV started."

Bucky dabbed some alcohol onto a cotton ball and cleaned the area on Wren's arm where they would administer the IV as Dr. Hazel prepared the materials.

Once he was done, Bucky stepped back and allowed Dr. Hazel to insert the needle into Wren's arm. With the needle in place, Dr. Hazel took a blood sample from Wren before hooking her up to the IV and hanging the bag of fluids on a hook above the bed.

With Wren stabilized, Dr. Hazel turned her attention to Walker. "You are Wren's brother correct?"

Walker nodded. "Yeah, that's me. I'm Walker."

"It's nice to meet you Walker. I'm Dr. Hazel and I will be overseeing your sister's care. My husband, Dr. Andrews, will be working on analyzing your blood samples to identify this illness and hopefully make a cure." She explained. "If you're ready, I'd like to take your blood now as well."

Walker slipped his right arm out of his jacket and held it out to her without hesitation. "Do whatever you need to do. If it means helping my sister, you can take whatever you need from me."

Dr. Hazel nodded, cleaning his arm before inserting the needle. She collected the blood sample and sat it to the side, taking a moment to clean up the area and bandage it.

"So, do you know if your sister has any other health conditions or allergies?" Dr. Hazel asked.

Walker took a moment to think. "Um, she sneezes when theres alot of pollen falling from the trees in the forest. Does that count?"

Dr. Hazel chuckled. "That is an allergy, but not one we to be concerned about here. What about allergies to medications?"

Walker shrugged. "The pack healers always used herbal remedies. We've never used actual medications."

"I see." Dr. Hazel replied. "Well then, I will make note to keep a close eye on her after giving her any medication just in case she does have a reaction."

"Thank you." Walker told her. "So how long will the tests take?"

"Well, Dr. Hazel began. "Depending on the results, an hour, maybe two. We're treating this as an emergency so we're planning to get results sooner rather than later."