What Hurts The Most

"It's hard to deal with the pain of losing you everywhere I go
But I'm doing it
It's hard to force that smile when I see our old friends
And I'm alone

Still harder getting up, getting dressed, living with this regret
But I know if I could do it over
I would trade, give away all the words that I saved in my heart
That I left unspoken"

         -What Hurts the Most,
                          Rascal Flatts

Wren groaned, squinting as she opened her eyes. Why was the world so bright? And where was that annoying beeping coming from?

"Wren?" A voice called out gently.

Walker. She knew his voice anywhere. Wren slowly turned her head in the direction his voice had cone from and blinked several tines as her eyes adjusted to the lighting of the room. "Walker? Where am I?"

Walker's face slowly came into focus and she could see the relief in his eyes, but also exhaustion. He clearly hadn't been sleeping.

"You're at Z-Tech, a hospital." Walker explained. "The doctors here helped make you better and they created a cure for the illness that killed our pack. Everyone is safe now, you're safe now."

Wren nodded as she glanced around the room. Walker was beside her, Winnie and Will were hovering at the foot of her bed, but one important person was missing.

"Where's Wade?"

The room became eerily silent as the older wolves shared a knowing look. Wren stared at their faces as she tried to get a read on their emotions. Winnie looked worried, Will looked uncertain, and Walker, she could have sworn a look of disgust flashed across his face.

"Guys, where's Wade?" Wren asked again, growing concerned. What had happened while she was sick?

"He's probably with Willa." Walker replied harshly before softening his tone. "But tell us how you're feeling. Is there anything bothering you? I can go get a doctor if you need---"

"I'm fine, Walker." Wren cut him off. "But I want to know what's going on. You're all acting really wierd. Did something happen? Is Wade okay?"

"He's fine." Walker replied shortly, his disgust evident. "Like I said, he's probably back at the den."

"Why do you keep doing that?" Wren asked.

Walker tilted his head in confusion. "Doing what?"

Wren slowly sat up in her bed, bringing herself face to face with her brother. "Everytime you say Wade's name you look disgusted, like it leaves a bad taste in your mouth to speak of him. What aren't you telling me Walker? What happened while I was out?"

Walker shook his head. "It's none of your concern. Just let it go and rest okay? You've had a long couple days."

"No." Wren snapped, glaring at him. "I'm not letting this go. You're hiding something from me."

Walker remained silent as Winnie and Will bowed their heads guiltily. They were all hiding the truth.

"Walker," Wren's voice softened. "I'm fourteen, I'm not little anymore. You don't have to spare my feelings or protect me. And you can't change the subject to make me forget either. I know something is wrong. Please don't lie to me like dad did to us. Remember how bad it hurt when we found out mom died and we didn't even get to say goodbye? We didn't even know she was sick. We promised to always tell eachother the truth after that day, remember?"