A Not-So-Warm Welcome

It was early in the morning as Wynter made her way through the woods to meet Walker at the fire pit. Despite her late night in the woods she had managed to get up before everyone else. If Willa knew what she was doing, she'd freak.

When she arrived, Wynter noticed Walker was standing with the rest of his small pack, talking quietly amongst themselves. She stepped out into the clearing and Walker smiled when he noticed her. "Good morning Wynter."

"Good morning everyone." Wynter replied. "So, are they going to hang out here while we go discuss things with Alpha Wylda?"

"Actually," Walker replied. "I was hoping they could join us and we could all go together. I just think it would be easier, you know?"

Wynter eyed the group then nodded slowly. "Alright then, just stick together and don't make any unnecessary movements. I don't want anyone to think you are a threat."

"Too late for that." Winnie huffed, crossing her arms.

Walker gave her a warning glance and Winnie dulled back her attitude, knowing that this was an important moment. Walker then turned to the boys and gave them a quick nod. Wade and Will nodded and walked over to pick up a wooden chest nearby.

"What is that?" Wynter asked, studying the box curiously as the boys rejoined the group.

Walker patted her shoulder. "You'll see soon enough, I promise. Now lead the way."

Wynter nodded and began to lead them through the forest towards the den. It wasn't far, but Wynter kept glancing back at the chest. What was inside it?

The small group entered a clearing and the den came into view. A few older wolves who had been working outside stood up to watch them as they approached, their eyes reflecting their wariness of the situation. One of the wolves leaned over and whispered in the ear of a young wolf nearby, who nodded in response and disappeared into the den.

Wynter could see the uncertainty in her pack members' eyes so she flashed them a reassuring smile to let them know there was no danger.

As they reached the entrance Alpha Wylda appeared from inside and studied the small group carefully before turning to Wynter. "Who are these wolves and what business do they have here?"

Before Wynter could speak, Walker stepped forward. "Alpha Wylda, my name is Walker Lupus, Alpha of the Lupus pack. My pack has suffered great loss over the last few months and the wolves before you are all that remain. I know our ancestors made mistakes that have yet to be forgiven, but I hope that we can put the past behind us and start anew. We have come to ask if we can join your pack. I come from a long line of Alphas, but I know that I do not have all the knowledge I need to lead my own pack. We are all young, and have much to learn from the elders. I also promise that we will do our part to help the pack any way we can."

Alpha Wylda studied the young wolves in front of her before focusing back on Walker. "You say that you have much to learn, but you already show great promise as an Alpha. A true Alpha puts the needs of their pack before their own, and knows their limitations. You've shown both these qualities. I believe in second chances, and you are all descendants of wolves that once were a part of our pack but I must ask for proof of your loyalty."

"I understand." Walker nodded before turning to the boys and beckoning them forward. Wade and Will stepped forward, placing the wooden chest on the ground and opening it carefully. A blue glow emanated from inside and Wynter gasped at what she saw.

"This moonstone was stolen by my great great great grandfather long ago." Walker explained. "As a show of good faith, we would like to return it, and share its powers with the wolves of your pack."