𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐄𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

Elicia was sleeping peacefully in her room. Her mother had just gone there to check up on her. Her little girl was sleeping like an angel holding the little blonde doll she had received on her birthday.

Gracia, however, would stay up for a little longer; at least, until her husband arrived at home. He had said he would be home early, but that wasn't happening. He must have gotten some important work to do. She knew things at Central had been really busy lately. Maes had commented that with her a few days ago.

The green-eyed lady was sitting on her sofa reading the newspaper. Another conflict in Liore... the world never seemed to be in peace. But she believed someday peace would arrive. She was hopeful. And, despite all that violence around the country, she knew her home was peaceful and there was peace there and, in her heart, as well.

Then, she heard the doorbell ringing.

'Who can that be at this time of night?' Gracia thought as she walked to the door to open it.

She saw a lady with dark hair and beautiful blue eyes.

'You must me Miss Hughes,' she said with a rigid expression on. 'I am General Scarlett Brewster and I'm here on behalf of the Military.'

'Come in, please,' the friendly lady said letting the General in.

'Is your daughter sleeping?' Brewster asked and Gracia nodded. 'Good. You may want to take a seat.'

The cold and serious expression on the General's face made a bad feeling grew inside Gracia. Why was she so serious? And why did she said she would want to seat down?

'What is going on?' she asked the black-haired lady.

'Miss Gracia,' the General began, 'your husband has been murdered.'

Gracia's green eyes widen as they darkened with despair and sadness. She opened her mouth, but no sound came out. She was lost for words. Her eyes were watering. Then she fell on her knees and began crying.

General Brewster stood there for a moment looking at the desolated widow crying. But then, she heard a voice inside her telling her she should comfort her, so she did it and kneel down in front of the woman to hug her.

'How did it happen?' Gracia sobbed.

'He was fatally shot earlier tonight. The military is already working on finding the culprit.'

'I'm sorry,' the woman apologized for crying like that in front of a general.

'It's fine,' the General's voice became soft but her icy eyes stayed cold. 'Crying helps.'

The two ladies stood there in the middle of the room kneeling down and hugging each other. After some time, Gracia stopped crying and sat in the red sofa of her living room. She looked down to her feet as she let the feelings of sorrow, sadness and despair sink in. She tried to accept them, she tried to accept the truth, but she couldn't.

'Do you want me to make some tea? Perhaps, camomile will help,' Brewster said with a small smile.

Miss Hughes just nodded lightly letting the dark-haired woman know she wanted some tea.

The General walked to the house's kitchen and looked for some camomile tea while the water boiled in the teapot. Then, she prepared the tea and put some sugar in it before handing the cup to the widowed wife.

'I added some sugar,' the alchemist said handing the tea to the lady before sitting next to her. 'I hope you like it.'

'Thank you, General,' the green-eyed woman said trying to put a smile on her lips.